Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1993 Indy 440 L/C and I would like be able to wheelie easily. I know the riser and a track will help but i have no clue what to gear it to.'

please help me out here!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Are you joking? Be prepared to have reductions on top speed though. If you don't have a good track then gearing is useless. Go down 2 or 3 teeth on the top gear. You could loosen your suspension straps but I'm pretty sure that's not the best for your sled's skid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragon700 said:
Gear it down 2 or 3 teeth. Remember clutching too.
what size weights should be put in?

wakeboarderboy said:
Are you joking? Be prepared to have reductions on top speed though. If you don't have a good track then gearing is useless. Go down 2 or 3 teeth on the top gear. You could loosen your suspension straps but I'm pretty sure that's not the best for your sled's skid.
It's just a ditch banger so iam not worried about topend. The 440's don't go that fast anyway so it just to have fun in powder.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
if you go to low on your gearing you still may not pull the skis, just spin the track.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I said 2 or three down on the top gear. Try 2 and see how you like it. You're going to have to count the teeth on the top gear then order one X amount of teeth smaller. Someone may be able to tell you what the stock gearing is on that but you don't know if it's been changed by a previous owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
I said 2 or three down on the top gear. Try 2 and see how you like it. You're going to have to count the teeth on the top gear then order one X amount of teeth smaller. Someone may be able to tell you what the stock gearing is on that but you don't know if it's been changed by a previous owner.
what would it do if the bottom was bigger?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Same thing I believe. Most people go up on the bottom gear once they have alredy gone down more then 2 on the top (Your chain will then be too short to go smaller on the top). But I think the chain length and the amount the tensioner can tighten varies sled to sled. I think it's just more common to go down on the top gear and I don't know why, maybe because it's cheaper to go smaller on the top then bigger on the bottom.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
my dad has a mint 440 in his collection. I've moved it around the his yard before and gave it some gas. Honestly,i highly doubt that sled is capable of a wheelie. You need a bigger lug track than stock if you don't already to hook up for starters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sledneck1978 said:
my dad has a mint 440 in his collection. I've moved it around the his yard before and gave it some gas. Honestly,i highly doubt that sled is capable of a wheelie. You need a bigger lug track than stock if you don't already to hook up for starters.
iam putting a bigger track maybe 1.25

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You would probably be good with a 1.25, I don't think you can go any bigger then that or you would have to go down on your drivers to clear the heat exchanger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts