Snowmobile Fanatics banner

wheelie on the 98

7K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  powersledder 
#1 ·
hey guys, wondering if yall have a tip or two on how i can get the skis off the ground on my 98 xc 600[:D]

#3 ·
Vamped400 said:
loosen the front limiter straps and tighten the rear. I can barley keep my skis down now. And clutching would help also... blue/almond or epi red secondary and 10-60 polaris weights
will that effect the way it handles suspension wise while riding, rougher or softer over bumps

#4 ·
i didnt notice anything. I actually like how it drives and handles. try it and if you dont like it you can always tighten them back up, it only takes about 15 minutes. Ive heard of some people who take them off completely but i myself wouldnt try it. happy trails

#5 ·
The clutching won't effect the suspension unless you're on the throttle.

Screwing with the limiter straps will definitely effect the handling. The steering will be light and the sled will push in turns.

#6 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
The clutching won't effect the suspension unless you're on the throttle.

Screwing with the limiter straps will definitely effect the handling. The steering will be light and the sled will push in turns.
hhmmmm, decisions!?

#7 ·
With suspension tuning, there will always be tradeoffs.
You can also turn your RRSS to low, move them to the rear hole, or take them out completely. But then this will make your suspension ride uncoupled and will be very soft. You can also turn your torsion spring preload to low, but this will also make the suspension soft.
Like you say, you have to make decisions. Your best bet is to make small changes, and only one change at a time so you know how the change affects the performance of the suspension. You will have to do lots of test riding until you find something that suits you.

#8 ·
Quickest way to wheelies without effecting trail riding, is clutch it, gear it, and stud it..

You'll lose top end, but you'll get there faster, and wheelies will be a byproduct.

#10 ·
The rear scissors blocks in the farthest setting from the rear torque arm. Some guys remove them to carry the skis, but you really lose bite in the front. Rear springs in the softest setting, tighten the coil spring on the front torque arm, lengthen the limiter strap in the front, are the things you can do. Whatever you decide, it will affect handling in the corners. Expect the sled to lift the inside ski on the turns and push in in the corners if you set up for more ski lift. The following set-up worked well for the 98 XC 6 I sold last season.

178 mains down to -10F
38 pilots
air screw 1.0 adjust as needed
stock needle #3 position
6.0 slides from a 700
almond/gold primary spring
10-60 weights
HSP 36s helix
HSP orange #3
22/40 gears

SLP Power Packs
SLP Boost Bottle
V-Force II reeds.
They all helped my sled. You will get various opinions on the boost bottle. If you do a boost botlle, get a plastic one. One more thing, if you do long WOT runs (1 mile +) run larger main jets or you will burn it down. (185s @ sea level)

#19 ·
The way my sled is setup if I took the blocks out it would probably go over on me, I had to move them back into the stock position as I had them in the down back position and had to launch with my onions on the gas cap and the damn thing was still standing near straight up.

#23 ·
Traction & torque.

#25 ·
jtb0322 said:
I think its funny that you guys thought my little 488 couldn't pull a wheelie off!! haha the 3 dill pickles!! I showed ya what it can do...
only way that 488 got that high was with some inverted assistance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.