Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my IQr came with a 1.75" snowcross track.. I bought it from a guy in SD and needless to say where he rode there wasn't much snow. The track was in bad shape when I got it.. and its on a constant downhill.. I'm talking lugs missing on almost every row. We have 30+ inches too, so it's not like im riding on grass. Now... I don't have much money at the moment, and was wondering if the track could be ran the rest of the year without worries. It IS going to be replaced, but if i keep riding do I have to worry about it ripping? Here's some pictures.. prepare yourself its not good.

20101225222617109_9195.jpg 201012252228815_9195.jpg
20101225222945125_9195.jpg 201012252231540_9195.jpg

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would just run it, is it in rough shape? Yeah, but it's gonna cost yah 300+$ for a new one. That peeling is the only thing that bothers me.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Empire087 said:
I would just run it, is it in rough shape? Yeah, but it's gonna cost yah 300+$ for a new one. That peeling is the only thing that bothers me.
I'm also tossing around the idea of going 136" next year.. so If i dropped money into a track this year I might not even use it next year

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'd replace it. You dont want to have to replace a heat exchanger or tunnel when it comes apart. I'd keep a close eye on it for now, and just make sure you dont spin your track on stumps or rails to much. Dont know if its of any help, but I've got a 136x16x1.25" track with 2 missing lugs, but nowhere near as bad as that track you have that I'll sell you for $50+shipping.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
id say pull any picks you have in it and then run it till you decided if you want a 136 or a new track. (ud hate to put picks into the coolers and tunnel) just my .02

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sledcrusher said:
I'd replace it. You dont want to have to replace a heat exchanger or tunnel when it comes apart. I'd keep a close eye on it for now, and just make sure you dont spin your track on stumps or rails to much. Dont know if its of any help, but I've got a 136x16x1.25" track with 2 missing lugs, but nowhere near as bad as that track you have that I'll sell you for $50+shipping.
it would have to be a 15".. thanks though

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had a machine that even have worst lugs missing then your track.

i used it for 3 months until i got a new 1.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. That looks like my track. Just cuz lugs are missing doesn't mean its bad. My track has a flap too. My track last year looked perfect and it blew apart. I wouldn't worry about your track breaking your coolers. My track blew apart at 80 mph and it didn't break the coolers. Maybe if it had studs it could break a lot. Messed up my snowflap and bent the back tunnel piece under the snowflap. Nothing 2 hammers couldn't fix. So the question when does a track NEED to be replaced? Literally when it breaks apart lol

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I have ran tracks twice as bad for more than 1 season many times. Your track isn't that bad atall!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Keep a very close eye on the ones where they are clipped. That's where it will come apart. 2 years ago, last ride of the season, my 800 Pantera started like that. Before the day was over i had big chunks gone out of the track. I don't mean in just on spot either. Just keep an eye out around the clips.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i would just cut off any loose peices like you showed to prevent further delaminating of them then butn all the edges where there are strings showing and run it ive run tracks in much worse shape for over a season like that and they lasted just fine you just gotta keep your eye on it and trim off any loose peices

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Since you've got no pics, glue them loose flaps and threads down with rubber cement and run it in the pow. Just stay away from shallow snow.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
sks7kid said:
So my IQr came with a 1.75" snowcross track.. I bought it from a guy in SD and needless to say where he rode there wasn't much snow. The track was in bad shape when I got it.. and its on a constant downhill.. I'm talking lugs missing on almost every row. We have 30+ inches too, so it's not like im riding on grass. Now... I don't have much money at the moment, and was wondering if the track could be ran the rest of the year without worries. It IS going to be replaced, but if i keep riding do I have to worry about it ripping? Here's some pictures.. prepare yourself its not good.

20101225222617109_9195.jpg 201012252228815_9195.jpg
20101225222945125_9195.jpg 201012252231540_9195.jpg

Run it, it will be fine. The kevlar belting is what you worry about. Missing lugs just means less traction. When the kevlar starts going though, then you are in danger of throwing or spearing the track.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
cut the loose flapping rubber or rubber cement it back together really good to prevent further peeling. otherwise i run it the way it is. if your going to upgrade next year anyways mite as well use it up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Replace it with a good condition used track.
And go easy til then. Like the guy said, you
don't want replace your heat exchanger or shred
your tunnel. Yup it will probably last for a while.
But...............what is a while?
It's a spendy risk if you ask me. Sleds are expensive
enough to keep on the trail.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I am not going to lie that track is not in mint condition, but I have ran tracks that condition before and I have made it threw a season. I think u will be fine just try to stay away from low snow conditions.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
you can burn the tears with a torch to stop the fraying, its hurting but id run it, and well ive ridden worse then that lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would definitely keep an eye on it, maybe check it over good after every ride. I had a short lug track blow apart at 60 and put a hole in my tunnel (fan-cooled so no heat exchanger problems) but that could definately do some serious damage to a heat exchanger if it flys apart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts