Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at used sleds and am wondering at what milage you would expect to have to do a rebuild and what would it cost? I'm looking for a 2000 polaris with ves. What is high milage for a sled that year?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
how many miles??? what model sled??? it depends how hard it was rode, How much compression it has otherwise most polaris can get easily 6000 miles before rebuild if it wasnt abused

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
With today's newer engines proving to be very reliable and longer lasting, i would worry more about the overall condition of the sled and how well the owner took care of it, than to worry about mileage; however, it still is important.
I agree with Bobinwi, a compression test is a very good indicator.

I figure an average rider who enjoys the sport will normally do about 1000 miles a year. Take into consideration the low snow levels in recent years, and it might be even less. Depends on location.
Last season i only got 300 miles on, where as i normally do about 1000.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I would agree that about 6000 good miles would be pretty close. I personally consider any sled over say 3-4000 miles higher mileage but not neccessarily bad. Just I wouldn't pay near as much for a sled with 4000 miles that I would for the same with 2000.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Speaking of mileage when I bought mine it had 1675 miles on it. It is a 96 XLT SP. I bought it last year. Some of my friends say that it has more miles on it then it really shows. I trust the guy I bought it from but I was wondering if there is any way to disconnect the speedo on these things and get away with tracking the mileage.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's super easy to disconnect the speedo so the miles don't add up, but i don't believe in doing that. Be an honest person and leave it be. You shouldn't be ashamed of the mileage, you should be PROUD of how many you got on! All those memories of all the places you went. It's like having a scratch on your hood; every mark tells a story.

People do it anyway, and i think it's very unfortunate to the person who will be the next owner of a fake-mileage sled.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Odometer story:
I really like the new Ski-doo Renegades, and went up to a guy that had one
on the trails one day and asked him about his top speed...he said I don't know, I have unhooked my speedo, and his buddies all laughed at me for leaving mine connected.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You know people are just dishonest! My first sled was on loan from a neighbor. It was an 86 Ski-doo Safari. The speedo was broke. I had not clue how fast I was going. I drove me NUTS! Knowing how fast your are going is half the fun! The other part that MegaMan mentions is also true. There is always a story or a memory.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Broken and disconnected are different things though. My sled has 3200 miles on it and it probably has like 3250. My odometer froze last year when i was driving BUT when I sell the sled I will tell whoever looks at it about that.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Another way to lie about your odometer reading is unplug the cable, then put a drill on it and let it spin until the odometer turns around, your sled can have however many miles you want on it.

I do believe in being honest though, and I do enjoy knowing how fast I am going and how far I've gone, so mine will always be hooked up. If I were buying a used sled, I would ignore the odometer and examine the sled like crazy.

Compression test, look VERY closely @ suspension rails, check for cracks, check for bends in the chassis, check for welds, check bolts for tightness... Lots of things.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking for a Polaris 2000 500 xcsp 45th Anniversery or 600 xcsp. Both have the ves. What does a typical rebuild cost?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts