Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always threw it in the back compartment on my polaris but it always leaked out everywhere and made a huge mess. Now that I have my new sled I don't want to do this. Where do you guys keep yours and what do you recommend?

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Some company makes an oil caddy that holds 2 quarts of oil in the engine bay, but i think you will have to drill holes to mount it. Sorry to say i also store mine in the rear hatch...........lol

Let it snow!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Look in the Dennis Kirk catalog for a 'Storage Buddy'. Power Madd Powersports makes it. It goes on the right side of the sled near the pipe. It holds 2 regular quarts of oil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I saw those but thought that they would just make a mess under the hood instead......what about putting the oil in some kind of container that doesn't leak....like a bottle of some kind? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think those oil buddies will work perfectly. they are neoprene so the cushion the plastic oil bottle and hold them upright. Shouldn't make a mess at all even with an open oil bottle.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't seen the cloth ones before....just like a metal bracket thingy. Do you know where you can purchase those online?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well now that I look it up turns out to be aluminum too but you could just make a fabric sleeve like those beer can cooler thingys. same idea anyway. sorry for the high hope. It just looked like a neoprene holder to me because of the color.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since I made a huge mess when the plastic bottle broke in the rear compartment, I carry a quart on the belt guard near the foot rest wraped in a small towel held on by two bungee cords. It works real well.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I have seen on the older Polaris sleds (the old chassis style) where the little toolbox is at, but on the other side of the sled, people have fit in there a 1 quart bottle of oil and it seems to work nicely.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I might order up one of those oil holder things..... I t says you don't have to drill any holes for it.....so why not try it!

·
Registered
311 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by erick:

I have seen on the older Polaris sleds (the old chassis style) where the little toolbox is at, but on the other side of the sled, people have fit in there a 1 quart bottle of oil and it seems to work nicely.

[/quote]

What about the polaris generation II sleds any thoughts idears. Right now I stick it in the back too,

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
278 Posts
Intended, unless you're going on a trip on your sled you should'nt need any extra oil.
The Cats have 1 gallon oil tank, it's larger than other sleds. I can do 200 miles of average trail riding and only use about half of the tank.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
RtkatZL8 is right. I never carry any oil with me, I just make sure it is always full when I take off and check it when I put gas in the tank. You can get a couple of tanks of gas to a tank of oil on most snowmobiles I think, at least all of the ones I have ridden.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have one of the powermadd oil holders on my polaris triumph. the one i have only holds a single quart of the manufacturer specific oil and is what you seen that looks like the "metal bracket thingy"...mine will only hold the polaris shaped quart bottle....the ones for a/c will only hold the a/c shaped bottle, etc....anyways mine mounted between the secondary clutch and the belly pan....two of the bolt holes were already there and said that the two were plenty to hold the bottle unless you do rough riding, for rough riding it said to use the third bolt hole which means that i had to drill....no big deal just a 1/4" hole that went into the footrest area. I have not had a problem with the bottle leaking at all, i just keep the quart bottle and refill it from the gallons of oil that i keep in the garage, that way i know i always will have oil on hand if i need it.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You guys are all lucky! All of your sleds have oil-injection. *turns green with envy*

My sled is a '79, so of course i have to mix my fuel. I have kept a "premeasure" deal in the back hatch of my sled. just got my sled registered this year, so i havent ridden it very far from the fuel supply...but i kept my oil in the back too...

It's not fair to give only a tiny bit, weatherman, gotta have more now!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's funny that you would say that you use a tank full for every two tanks of gas, cause on my storm I always used about one tank of oil for every half tank of gas......maybe there's a problem?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I would say that your oil pump is set too rich, or in other words its pumping too much oil. Check the scribe marks on the oil pump to make sure its set right.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts