Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...stupid question I know...but where is the battery in my 99 yamaha sxr 600? I can't get it to start and it has new plugs and started a few months ago...think my battery is spent since the hand warmers are not working as well...thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Does it have electric start? If not it probably does not have a battery. Do the plugs have spark? Are they wet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RMK-KING said:
Does it have electric start? If not it probably does not have a battery. Do the plugs have spark? Are they wet?
Does not have electric start....how do I check to see if there is spark?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Take the spark plug out and plug it back into the cap,set the plug on a head bolt or something metal and pull the rope,you should see the spark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RMK-KING said:
Take the spark plug out and plug it back into the cap,set the plug on a head bolt or something metal and pull the rope,you should see the spark.
I will try that in a few minutes...thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
therage72 said:
RMK-KING said:
I will try that in a few minutes...thanks
plugs are wet and all three have spark.....bad gas perhaps? I added stabilizer in it before storage and it started right up this summer.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
You probably just flooded it,if you left the gas turned on it is also possible the neddle/seats in the carbs leaked a little and filled the crank case with gas. There is a small bolt/plug for each cylinder in the crankcase in the front of the motor,if you take them out the gas will drain out of the crank if there is any. First just put some new plugs in and try it again to see if it fires at all,if they are wet again right away then you will know you have a issue somewhere. Wouldnt hurt to clean the carbs before the season starts either,plugged jets will make it not start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RMK-KING said:
You probably just flooded it,if you left the gas turned on it is also possible the neddle/seats in the carbs leaked a little and filled the crank case with gas. There is a small bolt/plug for each cylinder in the crankcase in the front of the motor,if you take them out the gas will drain out of the crank if there is any. First just put some new plugs in and try it again to see if it fires at all,if they are wet again right away then you will know you have a issue somewhere. Wouldnt hurt to clean the carbs before the season starts either,plugged jets will make it not start.
I will defintiely try that...thanks a ton and I will update the post once I find out...hey if someone else can learn from my newness..it's all good. :)

One quick question...i went looking for these cylinder drain plugs/bolts and couldn't decipher which ones they were. I am assuming the are below the exhaust manifold in front of the motor and not on the bottom of the motor?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
therage72 said:
One quick question...i went looking for these cylinder drain plugs/bolts and couldn't decipher which ones they were. I am assuming the are below the exhaust manifold in front of the motor and not on the bottom of the motor?
Correct,that is where they are on most sleds is under the manifold. I guess I have never looked for them on a yamaha triple before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts