Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there's a better place than the bumper to lift the front of a sled using an overhead hoist?? What about using straps around the trailing arms up near the spindles?? Is the Bumper (and its attachment points) really stong enough to be a hoist point?

Reason for asking is that I want it to be higher up for working on it so ya don't have to stoop....and using a floor jack gets kinda squirly when you go up over a foot hence hoisting it from above.

I've al;so herd about people hanging there sleds up in the summer to keep the weight off the suspension and track paddles.. Where would you hang it from for such long duration???Once again I'd think the bumper wouldn't be strong enough.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I overhauled my Trailcat last summer with it sitting on my trialer....perfect height.

My 500XC is sitting up (without shocks and springs due to painting)on the bulkhead pan on box made from some 2x10's I pulled off my old deck, and the tail is supported with just a 2x4, not stable enough to work on though.

I wouldn't support the front from above, then your fighting with chains or ropes around the engine compartment. Make up a wooden box and hang the tunnel from your lift.

Good luck, go get dirty man.....fun fun fun.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Don't use the bumper. It really is only for very temporary (moving the sled) lifting. If you want a secure way to lift, take a strap, feed it around and underneath the bulkhead frame, and bring it back up on other other side. So that it kindof cradles the sled. It will be the safest way. Just make sure that the way you have it is so that the strap can't slip, and the sled fall.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I use car jacks to raise my sled to keep wieght off the springs, during the off season. No problems in 15 years of doing this. The back I just use a homemade stand using the rear bumper. Of course this method is used on a Indy wedge sled, which has very sturdy front and rear bumpers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts