Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up some 144" rails and am planning to move the skid back to improve my angle of attack.
My question is what does everyone think about the type of track
2" challenger or 2.25" finger track?
I am inclined to go with the finger track but what do you think?

Your opinions appreciated

·
Registered
948 Posts
Not many sleds have enough room for the 2.25 finger track but if you're prepared to go that far, I would go for the finger track too. It is however, the most expensive of the 151's as far as I know. What price did you get for the track?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
For the bottomless deep we ride up here I would say stay with a paddle, the fingers are better on harder snow...unlike the sugar we get here.MO

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AKGold,
I figured that if I went to the 151 my flotation would be better and with the improved track angle it would get up on top better. But you may be right. I can get a 151x2" challenger for $500 here in Anchorage and the finger track would run me $650.

I was considering the finger track since I like going to Lost Lake and the trail can be brutal/icy on the way up and I figured the finger track would work better in those conditions and still give adequate traction in the deep snow. We don't get as dry a snow here as you do in Fairbanks. Only a rare occasion that I get to ride in bottomless fluff.

Bman, I do have the clearance stock to run the finger track, just can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these the only three guys on this forum who have and opinion on what type of track to run? I didn't think so.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You make a great point for the finger, I have heard horror stories from that trail at Lost Lake. About alot of sleds that have found there way to bottom the hard way!!! If your gonna be doing a fair amount of trail riding to the hills then the finger would be your best bet, all I'm saying is you can't beat a paddle for those killer pow days! Yes the finger will hold it's own on the powder, it's more what your preference is. From what I gather from your posts it sounds like the finger track would suit you better, and go with 2.25 if get it! Oh the bottomless I refer to is at Summit or Cantwell\Petersville area, I wouldn't dare ride around Fairbanks!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,
Alaskangold I think I am going to go with the finger track. If need be I can put in some screws to make the lost lake trail a piece of cake.LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts