Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer told me these machines need bushings at 2000mi. Which bushings would he be talking about?

Capt.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bushings or bearings? Bushings I guess you could do the primary and secondary bushings, if it needs them. Bearings, I would check all the rear suspension bearings, jack shaft and spedo side bearings. Drain the chain case and check the bearings in their too, u shouldn't need to replace them though... but changing the oil is a good idea.. most people never do it. other then that, I can't see what "bushings" it would need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SRXSRULE
[br]Bushings or bearings? Bushings I guess you could do the primary and secondary bushings, if it needs them. Bearings, I would check all the rear suspension bearings, jack shaft and spedo side bearings. Drain the chain case and check the bearings in their too, u shouldn't need to replace them though... but changing the oil is a good idea.. most people never do it. other then that, I can't see what "bushings" it would need.
Which are the primary and secondary ones? As you can tell I'm a newwbie,but can sling a wrench and know 2cyles as well.

I just did all the greaseing last year and chain oil. Never used them here in NH. No snow. But I am worried about routine manintaince coming up.

I will check with that dealer again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
2000 miles is pretty early in the life of the sled to need bushings of any kind in my opinion. I'd ask the dealer what he is talking about.

Didn't you already ask the same question last season?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Canuck
[br]2000 miles is pretty early in the life of the sled to need bushings of any kind in my opinion. I'd ask the dealer what he is talking about.

Didn't you already ask the same question last season?
No cause I didn't want to go there yet with him. I had only 1200 on one and 900 on the other. I now have only 1400 so when I get to him (he's 45 mi. away and I hardly go that way) I'll ask him as I should be passing that hopefully this winter.

He made it sound like it is routine service with this sled..

Capt.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I don't know how many miles you put on your sled a year, but I put around 2000 km +/- 500 km depending on the season. I usually replace every bearing in the rear suspension, and the plastic bushings if they need to be changed and the sliders. Also I check for cracks in the arms and grease everything. I usually rebuild the clutches after 2500 km and replace what needs to be replaced like rollers, pins etc. But I like to keep my sleds maintained nicely. I don't like breaking down in -20 celcius weather especially when I'm over 100 km from home. So more money spent at the begining of the year is better then money spent when you have huge problems like clutches blowing up, or wheels seizing etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by SRXSRULE
[br]Well I don't know how many miles you put on your sled a year, but I put around 2000 km +/- 500 km depending on the season. I usually replace every bearing in the rear suspension, and the plastic bushings if they need to be changed and the sliders. Also I check for cracks in the arms and grease everything. I usually rebuild the clutches after 2500 km and replace what needs to be replaced like rollers, pins etc. But I like to keep my sleds maintained nicely. I don't like breaking down in -20 celcius weather especially when I'm over 100 km from home. So more money spent at the begining of the year is better then money spent when you have huge problems like clutches blowing up, or wheels seizing etc.
I try to be the same way. I'm new to sleds so I apriciate the posts as they give me food for thought.
I will be doing my own maintence as much as I can.
I have a Pri clutch now on one that makes a little bit of noise at idle and two different mechanics seemed not worried about it but I'd like to rebuild it myself. That's another project. If you know of a link to rebuilding a stock Yamaha like mine please send it.

Capt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts