Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what people prefer, new state of the art sleds, or old vintage sleds? Every year arctic cat, polaris, skidoo, yamaha, they all try to make there sleds look more sleek and fast, more areodynamic. Why not for once take our new technology for the engines and suspensions and mix it with alittle old school design. I dont mean like the early 80's, I mean like the old Rupp's, Larsons, or Scorpions, you know with the opening right in front of your crotch, so if something breaks it smacks you in the nuts and you know it is broke right away. I think they should take an old Rupp and put a racing suspension on it and slap a 1000cc Thundercat engine in it. Anyways just curious to hear what you prefer?

·
Registered
691 Posts
i personaly like the newer, sleeker sleds

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you asked me this question two weeks ago when I was riding my 1994 XCR 440 I'd have told you I like the old sleds better. Now that I'm riding a 2001 xcsp 800 with an edge chassis I've all but forgotten about the old XCR.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I like newer alot more than the older sleds.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
If im getting hit in the nads or even if its possible im gonna get hit in the nads then im not gonna have much fun. Newer sleds look better are more comfortable, and work better.

·
Registered
476 Posts
when im riding my edge for the day then get on our 1990 indy 500 it feels like i am on a rectangular box

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice wyrider thats what im talking about... is it your sled? is is hard to tell what it is but im gonna guess a lynx or maybe a pantera? what size engine? did you do the mods yourself?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by forbess
[br]I was just wondering what people prefer, new state of the art sleds, or old vintage sleds? Every year arctic cat, polaris, skidoo, yamaha, they all try to make there sleds look more sleek and fast, more areodynamic. Why not for once take our new technology for the engines and suspensions and mix it with alittle old school design. I dont mean like the early 80's, I mean like the old Rupp's, Larsons, or Scorpions, you know with the opening right in front of your crotch, so if something breaks it smacks you in the nuts and you know it is broke right away. I think they should take an old Rupp and put a racing suspension on it and slap a 1000cc Thundercat engine in it. Anyways just curious to hear what you prefer?
what if it was a brand new sled with all new technology but only it had an old rupp body style. would you buy it?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
[attachment=54107][attachment=49799]
[attachment=49804][attachment=51077]
this give you any hints?!?!?[:p]

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have 10 sleds and the newest is a 97 all the rest are 82 or older so yes i like the oldies.
[attachment=56004]

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have owned as old as 1973 and as new as 1997, so even my newest sled is 10 years old. I dont like complex electronics, so I will probly never own a fuel injected sled or a newer sled than what I have now. I find that my favorite tend to be the late 90's sleds with semi-modern suspensions and chassis, but yet still pretty strait-forward engines, drive systems, and electrical systems. For me they have prooved very reliable, and very easy to work on, and I have not yet ridden a newer sled that has made me change my mind. I always had old sleds growing up, and I still have one as old as 1991, the old sleds will always have thier place, they are LOTS of fun. Personally I dont like the direction that the new sleds are going in with all the rave about rider-forward and 4-strokes, and also so much electrical bull-sh*t. I'll stick with my "old" sleds [:D]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nice chevy, i like riding new sleds. but i also like old vintage sleds too, especially when someone takes the time to restore them. it makes a feller really appreciate the history of this great sport. keep the pics coming too, i love to see old sleds that people collect...

·
Registered
130 Posts
For me, it's all Polaris, from '74 to the end of the wedges. All the ones that use the same taillight, oddly enough.

Wasilla, huh? Keep an eye out for my family's old Colts we sold when we moved outside in '75. And have a pint at the Great Bear for me! [:D]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gruppe where did you live at in wasilla, im going today towrads the big su out to figure 8 lake to do some ice fishing...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I dont prefer new or old. I prefer a sled thats about 3-5 yrs old! Ive never had a brand new sled Ive always got something a yr or two after it came out. With the current snow conditions I just dont see me buying a new sled. I have a 1998 right now with 5000 miles on it which all run another 2-3 yrs. Then by then all get something newer thats about 2 yrs old but still like new.

The reason I do this is because the insurance is cheaper on a sled thats a few yrs older and then I have it payed off. So if the sled sits one winter and never gets used im only out 70.00 in insurance and then registration. Also buy keeping something for a while I get my use outta it and then sell it before its to old and cost to much from sticking money into it.

I went from a 1990's 440 ski doo then upgraded to a 92 formula then 93 mach 1 and plus X. I road them tell about 96 when I got a beat 97 mxz 440. Then in 2005 I picked up my 1998 just to have something newer and that rides better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by forbess
[br]gruppe where did you live at in wasilla, im going today towrads the big su out to figure 8 lake to do some ice fishing...
We were actually in Anchorage, but I think my Dad & bro snowmobiled out your way back in the day. Lot's of snow there now? Everything I hear sounds like you guys are way above avg...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts