Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be moving to the Billings MT area within the next month and will be getting a sled right away. I am a fairly new rider. We had a 98 Arctic Cat Couger back in the day but havnt been riding much at all lately. I would like a mountain sled or a versatile sled but really dont know what to get. At times i would be hauling an extra person but when it comes to playing it will be just myself. I know or dont think i want a 155" track but maybe a 141 or so? I dont know what the riding is like in Montana either, but any input would help. What make and model would be best is my question.

Thanks
Joey

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I can tell you that the M7 141" is a great sled. Ive had over 2500 trouble free miles so far. Always starts by second pull no matter if its 10C or -40C. Great climber for any hill except the crazy huge mountains. We had over 55" of snow last year in two days and my M performed flawlessly, even when riding two up i had to stop and help dig a couple people out. The shorter track makes trail riding a lot easier and the huge 2.25" lugs help push you thru nearly anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
An M7 like mentioned above would be great or I would get a new Ski-Doo X 144" or Polaris 600HO RMK 144' but thats just my opinion. All the different brands are very simmilar. I would get atlease a 600 if not a 700 or 800. The new 600 have enough power to turn a 144" track with no problem. If you go with a longer track I would get a larger hp sled like 700 or 800. personally I would find a 151" or 155" track because i have a 144" and I always wish I had more. Good luck they are all great sleds.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If your looking to go new there is really no bad choice. They all perform it is just a matter of your brand preference and your local dealers. Find out all you can about them and find the dealer with the best customer serivce. You wont go wrong with any of the new sleds but you could find a deadbeat dealer.

For Montana you should definitly check out Cooke City. In the Winter it is "Snowmobiling". You can drive 100 miles through Yellowstone and end up at the end of the road in Cooke or you can ride in from the Wyoming side about 15 miles and carry your gear in, while leaving your truck in a parking lot down there. Great snow, good atmosphere, and some of the best riding in Montana.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We ride in the Cascade Mountains in Washington State. Lots of powder, trail riding and hill climbing. In our group we have cats, ski-doos and Polaris. They are ALL great sleds. I ride an RMK 800 and my wife has an RMK 700. It's the personal preference thing. You know Ford vs Chevy. Enjoy the ride, mountain riding is crazy cool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was also looking at the arctic cat or the ski-doo they both look like great sleds and would work for what i would like to be doing. I know i like to jump stuff, but i think i would also like to climb. I am thinking the 144 or the 151 would be the best sled

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
skidoo 800 with 151 or an m7 or m8 wiht 153 sounds like they would fit u well

·
Registered
135 Posts
ABSOLUTELY an M7 with a 141 or 153 track. On Slednecks and many other videos, they Jump and Climb the crap out of those sleds. Chris brown jumped 244' or so on his M7 shown on the compound vol. 1.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For what you are doing I wouldnt get anything bigger then a 700,I have one and they are great, more compact and easier to throw around then the bigger sleds, and could do anything, except the crazy steep climbs, which I am not a fan of anyway. and M6 with a 144 would be ideal for you.IMO

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
first question is new or used?? what is your budget?? and go from there
also are you a hillclimber? or powder rider?? and will you want to ride some trail?

·
Registered
963 Posts
i love my 600 ho 144. if i were you i would get a mountain sled no matter what. you will regret it if you don't and you watch all of your friends have all of the fun in the deep powder. it is great for trails too. but if i were you i would get more horsepower than a 600. look at an M7, RMK, or summit. they are all great sleds. the new sled are quality products and very reliable. mine has started up in 1 or 2 pulls everytime.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would say a 00-04 700 RMK with a 144 used would be a good choice. The track is long enough to play in the deep. The longer the track the tougher it is on trails as well as the rear suspension thats made for pow ridin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never done any riding in the mountains. The only thing I have ever done is ride ditches and fields. My fiance and I are moving to Montana and she said when we get out there i can buy a sled. I am looking for a new sled perferably. I love the looks of the arctic cat M7..

·
Registered
21 Posts
How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? But in most cases so you don’t have to bump up next year, get at least an 800cc twin, liquid, 153" track sled. I happen to be a big fan of Arctic Cats 03-05 1M Chassis sleds. You can find some good deals on them now because of the new M series. Maybe the best thing you could do is join a club and try out some of the other member’s sleds. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i think you need to look at some used sleds and also go to your local dealers and get on some of the sleds that catch your eye.see how they feel and keep in mind to how many aftermarket products are out there and what you may want to do in the future with whatever sled you decide on. you may fall in love with a sled that happens to be a 155 or it may be a 141 just keep a open mind and make sure you feel comfortable. just make sure you that you get what you want to get and not what someone else tells you thier favorite sled is cause it may not be your favorite one after you ride it for a while.the fun comes when the snow flies.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
There are a lot of cheap slightly used and new leftover M7s around. Most people are opting for the M8 which has a slight power advantage and reverse. If reverse isnt worth the extra couple grand then you will not be disappointed with the m7. It can be modded to keep up with anything and holds its own against most other big bore stockers. The 141" is perfect if you arent planning on climbing any huge mountains. It wont have the highest mark on the hill but because of its ease of use itll have the coolest sidehill mark across the hill.

I know im very biased but i bought the m7 for a reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am 5'10" and about 155 pounds. I was looking at i believe the M8 with the 144 the other day. I like the 2 yr warranty on it. I dont think you see that very often

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Went riding on friday and there was a new 800 rev with a 144, Worked incredibly well right out of the box. Only had a can added.
And for the price I can't see how you could go wrong, Not something I like to admit but the guy schooled me on his 800 144. He could go places I couldn't get too and I have a 185HP 151. Very impressed, been thinking of what I can do to the big cat to regain the high mark, At this point I think I will go get an 800 Rev with a longer track. Just flat works and this is coming from a guy who bleeds green.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts