Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have decided to part out or sell my old sled, and not which sure what sled to buy. Right now, I am looking at getting 2007 Polaris Fusion 700 for $3400 or a 2008 Polaris 600RR for about $5500. How will both sleds handle off the trail? I will be living in Houghton,MI over the winter where I will be riding a lot. I will be doing about 40% trails, 50% fairly deep powder, and about 10% jumping. If I had to get one of those 2 sleds which do you all think would be better sled for me? Please keep in mind that I am 6'5", 250 lbs, and dont have a bunch of extra money to throw into a sled.

Like I said, I would really like to buy one of those two sleds, but could be open to other choices, but I would really like to stick to Polaris.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
first off, there wasn't a Fusion in 2007, there was IQ, RMK, Dragon, and i think the only 700cfi you could get was the Dragon......

Secondly, the IQ RR 600, is a stock 600h.o motor (NOT the 600R race IQr motor) and runs on pump (87 or 91) fuel, and is oil injected with more trail tame clutching/gearing/jetting, and the shock valving isnt as stiff. Great motor, solid chassis, rare sleds, awsome sled

BUY THE IQRR

·
Registered
134 Posts
yea i got a fusion and it doesnt do too well in powder deff go with the iqr...if ur 6 foot five you should prob get a riser...just my .02

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
depends. is it a 2006 700 Fusion or a 2007 700 Dragon.Due to your high level of off trail riding, i would suggest the 700 Dragon. but if its a 700 fusion, then get the IQR.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
iqr,, just im just biased :p the iqr will be a nice all around sled, super light lots of power and a nice chassis for jumping,

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
but he is doing %10 jumping. so why take a sled that will only be great for ten percent of his riding. i would go for the 2007 700 dragon. if that is an option.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
as i said light nimble lots of power, and its already trail converted,

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Get the RR, lots of powerlines and ditches up here that are perfect for it. Plus being that you're a bigger guy the RR will be a little better there too because it's a stronger chassis with stiffer valved shocks. Put a 1.75" or 2" track on the RR and you'll be doing a lot more offtrail riding.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Dragon700 said:
but he is doing %10 jumping. so why take a sled that will only be great for ten percent of his riding. i would go for the 2007 700 dragon. if that is an option.
40% trail riding-- RR = fusion
50% fairly deep powder-- RR > Fusion
10% Jumping-- RR > Fusion

My .02 cents, the RR would be better then the fusion in powder (as I think someone with a fusion already said) and it would be just as good for trail riding.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
What I'm saying is I think he means a 2007700 dragon. Then the dragon is better on trails and in powder. And not toobad in jumping

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
Dragon700 said:
40% trail riding-- RR <[/color=red] fusion
50% fairly deep powder-- RR > Fusion
10% Jumping-- RR > Fusion

My .02 cents, the RR would be better then the fusion in powder (as I think someone with a fusion already said) and it would be just as good for trail riding.

RR < Fusion**!! The RR has a higher centre of gravity, and alot of suspention travel, makes it more tippy on trails, not to mention the rear suspention track attack angle isnt the greatest, the fusion would have the upper hand on trails. Now if they had a foot of snow on them, and were rough as F*CK, the IQrr would have the upper hand, by far.

Dragon700 said:
What I'm saying is I think he means a 2007 700 dragon. Then the dragon is better on trails and in powder. And not toobad in jumping
WRONG! I have driven both a 2009 IQr 600 & a 2007 Dragon 700 in the deep powder(3 feet) and the IQr is by far much better. Easier to throw on its side. The IQr has a higher front, and foats better and evacuates the snow out of the tunnel better.

Although the stock 1.75" paddle track is a trencher special, a 1.5" Intense is a nice trail/off trail track.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Better. Iqr's aren't trail machines. If the options are iqr and a fusion then get the iqr. If it's iqr and dragon, definatly get the dragon

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I don't think so. I've only ridden an iqr once in powder. It reminded me of how an XP behaves In snow, hard to tip and once tipped, hard to keepon the side

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Dragon700 said:
I don't think so. I've only ridden an iqr once in powder. It reminded me of how an XP behaves In snow, hard to tip and once tipped, hard to keepon the side
I own an IQr and have ridden an IQ RMK many times, the IQr is BY FAR easier to handle in deep snow. Why do you think the big boys out west base their builds off the IQr chassis instead of the IQ?

Offtrail and jumping the RR is a much better sled than the IQ or Fusion, it doesn't handle high speed flat trails as well as an IQ but how often do you find freshly groomed straight trails?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
alright. can this kid come back so that i know if a Dragon is in the option?!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was riding in Houghton this season, beautiful area, we stayed in Mohawk. The trails were really nice and groomed daily when we were there, but then again compared to some of the trails in Ashland Wi area the Keweena trails are AMAZING, but the IQ I have been told by many people is a buy it and ride it amazing with pretty much anything you through at it.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Pretty much if all you do is on trail, and a tiny bit of off trail and small jumps, get the IQ, if your a good rider, like to hit decent sized jumps, like to throw your sled around in the deep snow, get the IQRR. The 600h.o is a better motor than the 700cfi as well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
to hlep with trail conditons get rid of the picks if there is any, get a good set of skis that will grab really well, this will help with cornering, you can rear steer then and get away from the sled being super tippy, this is what im going to do with mine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts