·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big decision.

97 Arctic cat 580 triple powder extreme. Runs good and clutched, rebuilt shocks

Or

98 ski doo formula z 583. Runs good, rebuilt shocks as well

Need opinions.... Reliability is a concern and which rear suspension is better?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think the mid 90 cat 580 motors where bad for breaking pistions if you didn't replace them around 2500 3000 miles.
I know my buddie has an 96 ski doo with that 583 motor in it and that sled has 6000 miles on it never had a rebuild and runs out good yet. Weather he is just lucky or they are a good motor i couldn't tell you. I'm more of a cat man
His ski doo and my 95 ext i had seam to ride prity close to the same to me any way.
hope that helps

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I dont think cat made a 97 Powder Extreme 580 did they? My 97 Powder Extreme was a 600 triple, i thought that the 580's were twins and those were known as the powder special.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The 97 580 was called the powder special and the 600 was called the powder extreme. Basically the powder extreme is a zrt 600 with a long track and different shocks. I would go with the doo because it will make a better trail sled and the 583 motors are strong runners. If you do alot of off trail riding then the cat would work better but they are heavy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ski doo..hands down. The 583 is awesome. I had one for seversal years then sold it for an update. My buddy still has his, it's a 96 and going strong as ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts