Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my sled today and I didnt notice it sounding weird or anyting. Then I let it warm up for a while. When I came back out it was sounding weird ( kinda like a 4-stroke) and the oil light came on. So I looked and I still had plenty but I filled it up anyway. I took it 1 mile down the ditch and after I would open it up it didnt seem to sound weird. My brother was riding next to me and I drove it into the garage and he said it sounded weird too. So I let it sit for an hour or too then I checked everything. The anti freeze looked a little low. I started it up and it still sounded weird. I pulled out the plugs and one of them is white and the other looks normal color but has (idk what it is looks kinda like really small metal or somthing) on the end.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Too lean.

Possibly coolant in combustion chamber due to bad o-ring...machine will have thick white exhaust as well.

You sure that wasn't the temp light instead of the oil light. Could be a water pump or water pump belt issue = overheating = loss of coolant = hot engine with white plugs from melted metal.

Since you said the coolant was low I am leaning towards the last one or possibly the O-ring issue.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to look again but I think it was the oil light. I checked my coolant now and its below where its supposed to be but not empty. I will add some anti freeze tommarow. What should I do to see if its the water pump or if its the o-ring.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to look again but I think it was the oil light. I checked my coolant now and its below where its supposed to be but not empty. I will add some anti freeze tommarow. What should I do to see if its the water pump or if its the o-ring. ALso the metal wasnt on the white one it was on the other one.

·
Registered
539 Posts
did you clean your carbs (jets) before you went out for your first ride?
sounds to me like the motor almost burned down. you have some piston material on your plugs. you better get the compresion checked before you totaly granade it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not clean the carbs but it was not my first ride either. I rode it 1 month or so ago and put about 60 miles on it. Then The other day I rode about 120 miles. I parked it behind the house and it sat out side over night. ( It was running fine so far this season) then it did this when I started it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
pull the exhaust and look at the condition of your pistons and cyls.
do a compression check
pull the head and do a further inspection
It sounds like you have a screwed piston if you hace metal flakes on your plug

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tonight we pulled the exhaust valves off and looked at it. 1 of the top of the pistons was white put the pistons apeared to be ok. Put it back togather started it and it ran ok. Put new plugs in it ran fine still. The exhaust valves were VERY DIRTY. I am ganna clean the valves and carburator. The guy helping me said do that and run it but I thought it would be a good idea to pull the head off and make sure nothin was wrong but he said if I do that I should just put new pistons in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
STOP F$$KING RUNNING IT!! Thats real bad. My buddy had that, only for 3 days tho. It blew on the third day! Oil cable broke on it, same deal as you tho, the plug had metal flakes welded on it. He tried to start it agian and it ceased up real tight. It turned out the bearing on the connecting rod blew up and went up the cyl and screwed pistons heads and jugs! Might wanna check that prick out roight now unless you got about $1500 piss away on a fresh top and bottom end. Bad exoerinces always happen to people who don't ride the Polaris!!:p Just thought you might like to know this little tid bit. If theres metal shavings on your plug it means your piston or rings have become too hot and beginning to flake away.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Originally posted by Snowforce21
[br] Bad exoerinces always happen to people who don't ride the Polaris!!:p Just thought you might like to know this little tid bit.
Hey snow / Then why did my Polaris melt down. Oh yeah, because the little choke plungers are famous for hanging up and it leaned it out. If I'd had one of them there primer buttons, I could have saved about $1400

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by MoJuice
[br]
Originally posted by Snowforce21
[br] Bad exoerinces always happen to people who don't ride the Polaris!!:p Just thought you might like to know this little tid bit.
Hey snow / Then why did my Polaris melt down. Oh yeah, because the little choke plungers are famous for hanging up and it leaned it out. If I'd had one of them there primer buttons, I could have saved about $1400
Snowforce is 100% correct[:eek:)]
I've never seen a Poo get towed out....EVER
but I have seen them push a lot of ropes!!!!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
to funny [PointLaugh] [PointLaugh] [PointLaugh]they all push ropes once in awhile

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Originally posted by stormrider62033
[br]to funny [PointLaugh] [PointLaugh] [PointLaugh]they all push ropes once in awhile
That is good. Every winter I find myself [red]pushing ropes[/red] for a broke kitty. Haha

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well we know it leaned way out but why is it running fine now?? And should I just put the new top end in it? Or do u think if its runnin fine now it will be fine?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
why did it lean out?
what shape is the top end in?

Find this before you go any further

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, The guy that is helping me is goin on a sled trip and is ganna help me end of next week/weekend so I wont know until then because I am still learning how to do everything. I am ganna clean the exhaust valves and check the compression saturday though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We were looking at my sled at the plastic piece between the engine and carburator is broken. The guy that is helping me said that its about $318 to have fixed[V] I took the compression and both cyclinders were at about 105. Anyone know anywere I could get a cheap part for it?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The carb boot should cost like $50
You are at 105 which I say is low, pull the top end apart and go to the next size piston (rebore) and you should be good to go
OEM is the best but jobber stuff will also work
jobber being the cheepest and should run around 300 to 400 bucks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got it out today and the oil light is on but there is oil in it I rode it down the field back and checked plugs 1 is white I put plug back in started it just let it sit pulled plug out brown. I need to get it fixed fast though because we just got 8 inches of snow!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts