Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I knew that I had an antifreeze leak since last year, but I have been busy and did not want to deal with it. Since there is no snow, no rush.

Anyway the seal on my water pump is leaking. If anyone has ever taken one of these off on an Arctic Cat, good luck. It is bad enough that pump is 3 inches away from the all the steering components, but then they attatch the stupid thing with soft metal screws with phillips heads!! No way these were coming out with a screwdriver after being in there for 5 years. Why not use a bolt or even torx? I had to pull three out with extractors and the others with vise grips.

Well, I got it out is the main thing I guess.

Just venting after struggling for the past 4 hours.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ive found that lots of things have some major dedisgn flaws after working around a farm for the last 5 or so years..things that u take apart u can think of a helluva lot easier way to get em off or think why did they make that so stupid?? wouldnt it be easier iff....

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]ive found that lots of things have some major dedisgn flaws after working around a farm for the last 5 or so years..things that u take apart u can think of a helluva lot easier way to get em off or think why did they make that so stupid?? wouldnt it be easier iff....
LOL...that's so true. I think about that stuff all the time. I grew up on a farm too, and i'm thinking..."what idiot designed this!" on some stupid broken machinery piece or something. That's one of the reasons I plan to be an engineer, because i love designing things that really work!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
hey mega man, where u goin to school at for the engineerin degree? what kind do u plan on being, u sound exacly like me, "what idiot did this??????i could do better than that.....man....." lol.....and i wanna persue an engineering degree

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Or you will end up being the guy everyone curses [;)]

·
Registered
608 Posts
The best way to remove any bolt with a crosstip head is with a hand impact driver. I'm sure we have at least seen them. They look like a fat screwdriver and you tap the top with a hammer, the force of the hammer is transfered to rotary motion. They actually work great but you have to have a little room to work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had the same problem on my 97 ZR. It started leaking right after i got it new and it was a B**ch then. I replaced the stupid phillips heads with hex heads and that made it easier the next time. The real problem is that the pump impeller does'nt fit well on the shaft and it wobbles and wears the shaft and this will cause leaking from the seal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
im a big arctic cat fan, but i must admit that the enginereeing and the reserch and devlopment, and also quality control, needs a major overhaul if they want to continue to have people that are die hard fans, [:(]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think that most engineers figure that if they designed it, it will never break so there is no need to be able to take it apart in the field.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
john deere came out with a tractor model 2010. the engineers on that one were fired.lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts