Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some places got snow this year, but, on average, most places had less snow this year than many years before. Our dealers here are hurting for business. That in turn will hurt the manufactures. With all the hype about the new 2003 sleds, I think a few manufacutures are going to go down hard. Who do you think will get hurt the worst and why.

Think about what they make besides sleds also.

Live to Ride! - FrozenSmile

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that this will hurt the manufactures because they are not getting the customers coming in to get new carbids, belts, slids etc. Also I think that the 2003 sleds will not be as popular as say the new polaris edge X or Ski- doo's two toned mxz hood because a lot of people have bought these sleds and some have not even broke them in yet due to lack of snow. So they will not buy a new sled since they pretty much have one out in the garadge.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
This will hurt all sled manufacturers, however, it will hurt the others who don't have a stable alternative income a lot more. Polaris and Yamaha don't need to worry all that much. Thier ATV sales keep them going year in and year out. Ski-Doo will have a little more trouble because thier alternate products are not as popular and don't seel as good. I think that Arctic-Cat will have the greatest difficulty. They don't sell enough ATV's yet to keep their heads above water and they can't float because they no longer produce watercraft. In the long run, every manufacturer wil lose money this year, no matter how you look at it.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I think that most manufacturers will have a little trouble with this. I think that the least likely would be Ski-doo. Bombardier has ski-doo and other recreational equipment. They also own a train manufacturer, Learjets and other such equipment. I think that they will feel this as a small set back. On the other hand Arctic Cat will probably be hurtin the most because they quit making watercraft. Just my opinion though.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the ones that will feel it even more are little start-up companies that make Redline, Crazy Mountain sleds, the blade, and that snohawk

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sno-X-treme:

the ones that will feel it even more are little start-up companies that make Redline, Crazy Mountain sleds, the blade, and that snohawk[/quote]
i don't think these small companies will be hurt as bad since most of them are just trying to make a go of it now. sure it will definately hurt them, but they aren't that popular to begin with and doubtfully sell that many sleds in a good year. they will be hurting though. as for the big four, i'd have to agree arctic cat is the weakest. maybe that's why they now release the zr 900 and firecats?

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

Edited by - xc racer on 14 Feb 2002 17:59:10

·
Registered
546 Posts
Polaris didn't sell a whole lot of sleds this year but like Erick said there PWC and ATV sales will make up for it. The companies that don't have much to fall back on will be hurting.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

Edited by - Flyin_Ryan on 14 Feb 2002 18:59:11

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think we are missing one serious thread in this discussion. That being how much R&D was pumped into each company's line up for the '02 season VS. the '03 season. At first, I thought this poor season would really hurt Yamaha as they went "all out" developing the Viper (and I have seen a lot of advertisements for leftover Vipers). But then Polaris came out with VES in the big blocks and they haven't been able to truly strut their stuff either as I see tons of those still at dealerships. In my opinion, Ski-Doo and Cat stayed the most vanilla for '02 in terms of R&D into those sleds as compared to '01 models. Again, these are just opinions and NOT researched facts. But wouldn't it make sense that whoever spent the least in R&D, would lose the least during a poor season of snow? However, one has to consider the spring orders and the preseason anticipation that so many of us had after a good '01 snow season. Overall, perhaps a lot of sleds were sold for this season. Before I shut up, I pose one more thought...Does this poor season favor those who put lots of R&D into the '03 sleds, or does it hurt those companies??? Part of me says it will hurt them because so many people will buy leftovers or will keep thier '02's that have few miles. But the sled enthusiast in me says, "Screw it! We can't have another crappy season like this! I'm gettin' a Firecat or an RX-1!"

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i think they will all be hurt somewhat, but something else to consider is what kind of pre-season deals will there be promotin both the new models and leftovers?? i would think they would all have unbelievable deals to get either the first time buyer, or those of us that currently ride, in to get either the latest thing or something newer than what we got. so i am looking to see the deals to rope you in and buy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xltman, You are absolutely correct. The spring buying should be excellent. However, think about all those sleds with very low miles and loads of cash still sitting on top. You may get a great spring deal, but the turn over on cash could still put a damper on your spring purchase. Unless, of course, you are able to purchase another sled and keep the new/used sled you already have.

And yes, I posted this to make a few people think about the possible repercussions all this missing snow may cause.

Live to Ride! - FrozenSmile

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
actually i thought it was a great post, really got me thinking,,,im not planning on buying anything, still got low miles on the xlt now.....but you never know

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I think that this is a good topic to discuss. Because if a company is hurting bad you may not see it in a couple of years if it stays like this. I would hate to see any of the main four going down, even though i am not the greatest fan of some of them. I enjoy seeing the competition between buddies who have the same size sled from different companies. Those are the best races out there.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts