Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing alot of research on the RMK 800 weather or not it is the right sled for me. Several times the subject of the SKS is a better trail machine with a long track has come up. I ride alot of trails yet still like to go off the trail too.
Why would anyone buy an SKS to begin with? The 800 RMK has so many more updates, more rear suspension, longer deeper track, and costs less.
Why is the SKS only available in the 700? Does it have any benifits over the other 700 models besides track length?

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you ride trails alot why would you want a mountain sled such as the RMK? It will not do well on the trails at all, a 2" lug track will tear up pretty quick riding on trails.
The SKS is a 'tweener' that is a cross between a mountain and a trail sled. Needless to say it's not REAL good at either.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First I love the look of the RMK with the 156", Meaningless but I do like to ride off trail too!
It is the only 800 offered by polaris with a long track.
I currently have a 600xc and know that I do not want a 700xc (which my brother owns)

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check the Ski doo Renegade. Its at tweener like the SKS but I think the Chassis is newer and you can choose between the 600 700 and 800 also you can get the RER. I heard a rumor that the SKS will be in the Edge chassis soon. not sure if its true though. If you like to beat up the trails then the RMK may be a little much. Go with something a little wider with less track. I agree on the SKS it need to be updated. If it was I'd probably have went to local polaris dealer already. Also check the Mountatin Max. A lot mountatin men that I talk to say it has the best trail manners of all the mountain sleds. I've ridden one and it was nice.

I need spellcheck!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I agree with snorider.
Check out the renagade MXZ front end with a 1 1/2"x136 track. Should be a great all around sled.
I would prefer this over a straight mountain sled 41" ski stance up front handles almost everything better

My $.02

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Hay, have any of you ever ridden a 2001 700 sks? They are AWESOME! I love the machine, it s perfect for me and I think if you haven't tryed it, you should!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow you get to just go out and try sleds? Nothing like that around here.
Demo days would be cool.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
149 Posts
Actually I agree on the SKS. I got to ride a guy's 00 last year and it was sweet!!!! I was just giving wryjoker some other options since he wasn't impressed with the SKS. personally I like the tweener aspect of that sled cuz I like to ride trails, powder,and hill climb but I'm not really into highmarking. I do think that they need to update the chassis though.

I need spellcheck!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well i heard that trail riding with a 800 rmk, and 700rmk you can't turn worth Sh*t. i was talkin to a bunch of people that said if your goin to get an rmk u gotta ride off the trail, because they aren't worth having if u only ride on the trail, but the 600 rmk and lower are just fine, like the older 700 and 600 rmk, with the 136. Just my $.02

Ride Polaris!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys you are all very incitefull. I have been looking at some of the other brands too, and what they offer.
I think I am going to stay with the polaris though. I am going to bite the wallet and basically build my own 800 sks. I can purchase the 800xc and add the 136" track, with carriage, extend the chasis.

I found out from talking to a previous RMK owner the 2" lug is not going to hold up on continuous trail or hardend snow use. He claims the lugs will crack and peel off in time as they were intended for powder paddleing not flaping over on trails. I also do not realy need the side hiller front end.

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Good choice,
Most of my buddies who ride in the mountains long track ZR's MXZ's and XC's too.
Just think you will have the CRC front suspension and flotation too.

Should be a great sled (after you get it put together posts pics lots of pics.)

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
246 Posts
The SKS is a good choice if you ride trails a lot, and if you want more control in the deep stuff you can remove the sway bar. You lose a bit in the bumps, but it help in the powder and side hilling.

If you’re going to build an SKS check on the heat exchangers. They must be the right size and in the right place to avoid overheating. Also you might want to add a set of bogies up front the help keep your hi-faxes form burning out. My Father has a 2000 800 RMK with the 136” track and it can overheat when riding on trails. My cousin just got the 2002 800 RMK with the 151” track and they seem to have fixed this problem.

Snowmaching is not a thing to do - its a way of life

1 - 12 of 12 Posts