Snowmobile Fanatics banner

who makes a indy 500 big bore kit

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Racing_joe66 
#1 ·
I am trying to find out what/if companies make a big bore kit for a 1992 indy 500 efi sks? Also i am wondering if the dealerships can program my ecu to work with it. i wanted to put a 700 into it but my dad would prefer me to get a big bore kit instead. he said when he worked in shops (when a 92 was still new) they made a big bore kit for it but i have been lookiong and i cannot find one for it.
thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Not much in the way of big bores to be found these days for a 19 yr. old sled. Even less for an EFI of that age. I would save the cash toward some thing newer.

#3 ·
Polaris won't reprogram the ECU, you need to go aftermarket. And I don't know anyone still selling pre-programmed stuff for those, you'll have to get something you can map yourself.

I won't have my stuff ready till spring.

#4 ·
Just forget about a big bore for that old turd, you'd be better off putting the 700 in it that was your original idea, there would be quite a bit of work involved in putting a newer 700 twin in that old chassis.

#7 ·
Racing_joe66 said:
I have a big bore 400 punched out to a 500 and i can get you a programmed 500 chip for you ECU.
Why wouldnt you just buy a stock 500 cylinder instead since that is the only difference between those 2 motors?

#8 ·
I also have complete EFI setups to go that you can re-program the computer yourself if you end up modding your 500 and want to stick with EFI. Or it can be used on 1-4 cyl engines as well.

Other mod's have already been done to the 400. its clutched and ported and polished and higher compression and amongst other stuff.

#9 ·
Racing_joe66 said:
I also have complete EFI setups to go that you can re-program the computer yourself if you end up modding your 500 and want to stick with EFI. Or it can be used on 1-4 cyl engines as well.

Other mod's have already been done to the 400. its clutched and ported and polished and higher compression and amongst other stuff.
Well i live in the mountains will i be able to get enough out of the 500 and how much would i cost to set up?

#10 ·
RMK-KING said:
Racing_joe66 said:
I have a big bore 400 punched out to a 500 and i can get you a programmed 500 chip for you ECU.
Why wouldnt you just buy a stock 500 cylinder instead since that is the only difference between those 2 motors?
kinda what i was thinking. then you have room to grow in case you melt it down again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.