Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im blew my polaris belt on my 01 xc600sp and just woundered who you guys thought makes a better belt DAYCO or CARLISLE? And which model belt would suit me best? I have 192 studs stock clutching and i run alot on the river wide open throttle corner to corner stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've always had great luck with the Polaris belts. you're eventually gonna blow any belt. i would have to say carlisle though

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I am a fan of carlisle, I believe they are of the same quality as polaris belts except cost less.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I thought Carlisle bought out Dayco? I run Dayco belts and have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Ive always used carlisle and have no complaints. IMO they are a pretty good belt for the price. Ive never used dayco though

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
trailjunkie said:
I thought Carlisle bought out Dayco? I run Dayco belts and have had good luck with them.
They did. Same company for the most part. Youre gonna get the same quality.

Polaris belts all the way for me. Very consistent size and performance and they last LOT longer, in my experience. I get polaris belts for a lot cheaper than I can get good aftermarket belts, too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
indyrmk30 said:
I've always had great luck with the Polaris belts. you're eventually gonna blow any belt. i would have to say carlisle though
Ive ran 2 plaris belts on this sled and i just thought i would like to give some other brand a try and see how it ran.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive heard from one of the guys i ride with that he says my sleds clutch wont shift right or run as good if i put a after market belt on it. Is there any truth to this?

He says it will run much better with just a factory polaris belt casue they are made better a closer to specs for my sled and the polaris belt will last longer.

But arent polaris belts made by a after market company like Dayco or someone like that?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I don't know about the belts but there are many companies out there that produce the EXACT same product and sell it to multiple customers (with their part number on it) and the price is different for each of the subsequent sellers. The price deifference can be dramatic. A seller who is perceived to sell quality products will get a better price than a "discount" seller even though they sell the same exact product.

You just need to do your homework.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
picman said:
I don't know about the belts but there are many companies out there that produce the EXACT same product and sell it to multiple customers (with their part number on it) and the price is different for each of the subsequent sellers. The price deifference can be dramatic. A seller who is perceived to sell quality products will get a better price than a "discount" seller even though they sell the same exact product.

You just need to do your homework.
I'm actually running a arctic cat T660 belt on my RMK, about the only difference you can see between the two is that one has a cat logo and the other has a polaris logo printed on it, and the cat belt was about $100 cheaper! I have 300 boosted miles on the cat belt with no issues.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i have run polaris and dayco ultimax both on my speed run sleds and havent really noticed much difference between the 2. and mine are run from a dead stop to wot every time. only thing to remember is break in a belt before you really run it. i know i will get different opinions on this but i'm a firm beleiver in breaking in a belt. run it a little boppin around the house a while. get it through a few heat cycles before you take it out and hammer the pi$$ out of it. they will last longer.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
fasttxl340 said:
i have run polaris and dayco ultimax both on my speed run sleds and havent really noticed much difference between the 2. and mine are run from a dead stop to wot every time. only thing to remember is break in a belt before you really run it. i know i will get different opinions on this but i'm a [highlight=yellow]firm beleiver in breaking in a belt[/highlight=yellow]. run it a little boppin around the house a while. get it through a few heat cycles before you take it out and hammer the pi$$ out of it. they will last longer.
I think more people would agree with that than disagree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
picman said:
fasttxl340 said:
i have run polaris and dayco ultimax both on my speed run sleds and havent really noticed much difference between the 2. and mine are run from a dead stop to wot every time. only thing to remember is break in a belt before you really run it. i know i will get different opinions on this but i'm a [highlight=yellow]firm beleiver in breaking in a belt[/highlight=yellow]. run it a little boppin around the house a while. get it through a few heat cycles before you take it out and hammer the pi$$ out of it. they will last longer.

i like dayco for my storm half the price of polaris belts last just as long plus u can get them at crappy tire

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
picman said:
fasttxl340 said:
[thumb] Get warm a few times and they last twice as much. I know on my 440 that if I don't I can blow one up in 5 runs at the track.

·
Registered
572 Posts
also take your new belt off the shelf and scrub it in warm soapy water and let it dry before you run it on the sled. gets the excess oils off the face of the belt and lets the clutch grab the rubber. i do this with my race sled belts and run them on my trail sled a few times and and they hold up to 9800 rpm runs all season

1 - 16 of 16 Posts