Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread on here the other day of a skidoo blowing up and someone saying it was common for that year. I can't find it!

Well, that topic just made snowgoer this month. They show a picture of some special rings that skidoo was using that fall apart.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
It's internet hype Matt. Hahaha. Back in 03 when Doo came out with the Rev they started having ring flaking issues. I think that's when they came out with a new Rotax engine too. In '05 they started using new rings that are supposed to have solved the problem. A lot of riders have gone to hardened chrome rings and pistons from Cudney Racing. I'll have to go look at that article, I don't remember seeing it.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Seems like its more than a few isolated cases. Heres a thread on Dootalk with a lot of unhappy Doo owners.
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91592&st=0

·
Registered
360 Posts
my brother and a friend of his they both bought a set of summit ho 800 with the 151 2 " they have no problems yet all though my brothers sled right after he had got it broke in he had to take it back and get the brain fixed it was starting to run really bad since then no problems i think hes got 2 or 3000 miles on it i like to ride it its fun going up hills on that thing point it straight up and hold on. nick

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]Ski-doo's biger bore sleds usally have problems not blowing up, we had 3 800's and all went boom.
? problems not blowing up? I know what you mean, but that's not what you said. I would not say they usually blow up though. They can all be blown up if you run them hard enough. No manufacturer has ever made the perfect motor. The internet is great for getting info. It's filtering it that is the challenge.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58375&SearchTerms=mach

Is that it Matt?

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^yeah I think thats it.. or it was the other one where the owner said it was really easy to pull back all of a sudden and it wouldnt' run.

If I get time I will scan the article in snowgoer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Offshore, how many miles do you have on your sled and have you had any quality issues? I haven't heard of any major issues with the 600SDI and thats one of the reasons I bought one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a recall on the starter ring gear in my sled, bring it to the Doo dealer and they'll take care of it. Mine's an '06 1000 SDI.

http://www.ski-doo.com/en-CA/About.Us/Recall.Information/

btw: Were's the snow?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
No issues with my sled, 3,800 miles. There were a lot of people complaining about fouling plugs for a while and the flaking rings. But that was the early edition '05 sleds and the '03 - '04 sleds. Late '05 is when they changed to diff rings and updated the programing. I have fouled 3 plugs. The sled has been everything I expected it to be. How ever, if you were to ask me what I'd buy this year, if I could, it would be a Crossfire 700.

·
Registered
957 Posts
All the Doo 800 motors are prone to blow up... granted it's far more likely on a mountain sled because we work the motors alot harder than the same machine running in the flat land. It all really boils down to a poor piston design on ski doos part (one ring is no good!)

Here's some good reading on why.

http://www.2strokeheads.com/Ski_Doo_Rotax_800_Twin_Piston_and_Head_Kit_by_RK_Tek.html#827_kit

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
my friend has a 01 ski-doo 600 mxz he was riding between the rail road tracks the track met and squished the sled he was putting hes broke sled on the trailer so they could take it hoem form storage to fix her up and guess what the motor blew up after 30ft of driving.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]Ski-doo's biger bore sleds usally have problems not blowing up, we had 3 800's and all went boom.
? problems not blowing up? I know what you mean, but that's not what you said. I would not say they usually blow up though. They can all be blown up if you run them hard enough. No manufacturer has ever made the perfect motor. The internet is great for getting info. It's filtering it that is the challenge.
i wouldnt exactly say my 53 year old dad runs the snot out of his old 800's. the 05's were prone to lean conditions at around 60 and thats why it blew, but we could of cared less bout it so we rode another 16 miles on the blown motor, it was under warenty and we had a attak a rev and a prox. so we got that fixed and sold it and now we still have a rev but its just a gsx basicly a back up sled or for guests.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts