Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont understand it??
Why would you want a automatic in a diesel.........diesels are meant for work and work pickups should have a manual trans......not a auto
is everyone to lazy to drive a manual or something
im a huge chevy guy but it makes no sense to me

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
People are lazy, plain and simple.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Personally, I think some of it has to do with the area in which the truck is being used. I think the Alison Auto would be nice if you're doing construction in a city or similar area. Sometimes having a manual can be a burden with stop lights, heavy traffic, etc. I'd say that would make up some of the percentage of the people. Aside from that, laziness could be a contributing factor. I'm sure there's more legit reasons, but to each their own. [8)]

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I got a manual trans in my 3.9 Dak and every time I drive someone else's vehicle it feels weird not having to shift. But IMO the biggest reason for someone to want an automatic would be convenience, they area a lot easier to drive and, even though you're not supposed to, you can do a lot more while driving. I mean I've been talking on my cell phone, eating and driving through heavy traffic many times without incident, (not safe I know) but it would have been a lot easier to do all that with an auto. But I still prefer my 5-speed over the auto[:D]

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
manual trans here in my 97 chev cheynne alot nicer especially when stuck in snow you can rock the vehicle without having to get out just makes liife a little easier when pulling or hauling to

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Originally posted by nathanw24
[br]manual trans here in my 97 chev cheynne alot nicer especially when stuck in snow you can rock the vehicle without having to get out
If you know what you're doing, you can rock an automatic no problem. I've done it many times. [:I]

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]
[br]manual trans here in my 97 chev cheynne alot nicer especially when stuck in snow you can rock the vehicle without having to get out
If you know what you're doing, you can rock an automatic no problem. I've done it many times. [:I]
Either way it's hard on things, but yes you can rock an automatic just the same as a manual. I don't see why you would have to get out with an auto???

To throw out a quick answer to your queston BskidooC - Allison makes a great transmission, that's why people want them.

I've had auto's and I currently have a 5-spd, driven plenty of both as well. Sure a manual is more for work, but the new auto's do pretty good too.

Diesal's may be meant for work, but the majority of people who own them I doubt pull more then a camper or a boat every once in awhile. Pretty sure an auto can handle that.

If you have ever had to drive a stick in areas where you have to shift alot, it's way nicer to have that auto. Call it what you will, but your leg gets sore from always pushing the clutch in...at least on the hydraulic clutches.

As for playing, I'll take an auto any day. The manuals just can't handle the abuse in 1st, 2nd, and reverse. They aren't made for that.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I agree,it depends on the application. A auto is a more effective choice in most cases. When you have a massive load on you dont have to worry about reving it up and taking off with out killing it or burning the clutch. Not only that but putting the parking brake on all the time at idle gets annoying, and I have the tendancy to forgot to take the brake off again[B)]

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Allison makes bulletproof transmissions. The Allison is a heavy-duty option for GM's light trucks. There are semi-tractors with Allison automatics--granted, not the same transmission as the GM pickups. I have seen 5000 horsepower Detroit V12's backed with Allison automatic transmissions in truck pulling applications. I do not think "lazy" has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by jdzaharia
[br]Allison makes bulletproof transmissions. The Allison is a heavy-duty option for GM's light trucks. There are semi-tractors with Allison automatics--granted, not the same transmission as the GM pickups. I have seen 5000 horsepower Detroit V12's backed with Allison automatic transmissions in truck pulling applications. I do not think "lazy" has anything to do with it.
You don't think lazy has anything to do with it. Here's an example. A girl I work with wanted to learn stick before she drove her friends car. I told her she could practice in my truck. But she simply said, eh, I'm too lazy and continued to find rides to and from work. Does that tell you something? Whether it's the laziness to learn or the laziness of not having to move while driving, it does sometimes come back to it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Triple650Indy, I totally agree that some people are too lazy to drive a manual transmission. The person who you posted about is a prime example. However, I totally disagree that laziness is the reason people want the Allison transmission in pickups. Maybe there are a few people that want it for that reason, but not the majority. Now, Corvette? I would say if you order the automatic transmission in a Corvette, you have a good chance of being lazy.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Okay, more related opinions.

I can totally see where this topic came from. I used to be of the same opinion of BskidooC. A pickup meant for pulling or hauling should have a manual transmission.

I have since changed my opinion somewhat. The new pickups have much heavier duty automatic transmissions available to them. If the automatic can do the job reliably, why not go with an automatic? The new transmissions and computer systems are quite ingenious. I do realize there are some situations and applications where a manual transmission is preferred.

This last weekend I rode in a new Ford diesel with an automatic pulling a fairly large stock trailer. The driver (owner) just put it in Tow/Haul mode and drove the snot out of that pickup. You can hear the transmission working. It downshifts at the proper times and keeps engine rpm just where you want it. He just got back from a trip out to the Bighorn mountains with that pickup and trailer. He said it was the same thing. Just put it in gear, push Tow/Haul, and away you go. No need to downshift on mountain grades or anything. Now the owner is not lazy. He is perfectly capable of driving a manual transmission. But, if there is no need, why do it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The newer GM allisons and Ford torqshifts are built to handle the task of pulling heavy trailer. I drive a lot of diesels and that torqshift auto makes them feel like they have alot more power. Plus you dont have the down time between a 12" shift throw.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
You know, they used to start cars with hand cranks...

Not to mention, remote start, remote's for the stereo, electric seats, power locks, power windows, etc...

Just because it's easier doesn't make a person lazy...so unless you guys are all driving Model T's, your kinda being hypocritical.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The automatics are also a lot easier on the rest of the driveline. It eliminates almost all driveline shock. Even the best driver is not as smooth as an automatic. The automatic is also far better at getting a heavy load moving as the torque converter acts like lower gearing. I really prefer the automatic while towing. In my offroad Jeep however, I prefer the manual.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Ask my boss why we use a auto over a stick, as we are on our 3rd clutch because people refuse to use low when the truck is loaded. The auto takes the human error away when people ride the clutch, slip the clutch, wind it too tight. There are many things the auto can do better.

I bet my auto can shift faster than any human can. It will also keep the engine wound up where you can't with out harming the drive line.

Fluid coupling is softer on the driveline than the friction clutch is.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Forgot this point. A auto is worth more on resale than the manual.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
[br]manual trans here in my 97 chev cheynne alot nicer especially when stuck in snow you can rock the vehicle without having to get out just makes liife a little easier when pulling or hauling to
We've gotten our Ram 1500 stuck, and it has an auto.. I don't see why your having troubles getting out of snow/mud.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I sure as hell don't want the allison, simply because it comes with the duramax. But thats a whole nother story.

I like to pick my own gears, and its just more fun. My dad had an automatic for his last truck and now he went back to a stick. Simply because he liked the stick for manuevering in small yards with the trailer, and you can't push start an auto... LOL

·
Registered
414 Posts
yea i think some people might be lazy...but not the people who buy these trucks. As for the trans, bullet proof plan and simple. They require no overhaul for a million miles. The only time we have had problems with them at work is for leaks which was due to the trucks sitting for extended periods of time. And that was only one truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts