Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was driving my sled yesterday to put it into the garage and when its going it wants to jerk back every second or two and it doesn't do it while it is idling. My buddy wanted to try out the screw that goes in the driven clutch to take the belt off so idk if it it was becsuse of that or not. If anyone knows please help I really want to get my sled ready for winter. Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
fenske95 said:
Hi,
I was driving my sled yesterday to put it into the garage and when its going it wants to jerk back every second or two and it doesn't do it while it is idling. My buddy wanted to try out the screw that goes in the driven clutch to take the belt off so idk if it it was becsuse of that or not. If anyone knows please help I really want to get my sled ready for winter. Thanks
Your belt could have a notch taken out of it, your sled will slow down when it hit's said notch, and then speed back up when it hits the high part.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
JAG91000 said:
fenske95 said:
Hi,
Your belt could have a notch taken out of it, your sled will slow down when it hit's said notch, and then speed back up when it hits the high part.
He said the belt is brand new. But I guess check it anyways, new stuff breaks too.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Could be the track? I'd check for missing lugs on the inside (Don't know what it's called, the ones that go through the drivers).

I could be way off with that answer, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would check the clutch for rust build up either on the surface itself or inside and see if you weights are groved in any form also......

·
Registered
632 Posts
Even though its a brand new belt, all it takes is 1 time to burn the 'hourglass' into the belt. It would explain the jerking, and if you adjusted the clutch, well the brand new belt i think sits at 5 or 1, I forget without actually looking under the hood. You adjust as the belt gets wore down over time, its not really meant for performance tweaking, at least thats how i interpret it. Try a differrent belt and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It is something with the belt or clutches. If you used the "screw" on the secondary clutch to take the belt off when you put the belt on it can be down in the bottom of the clutch or you could say in a higher gear if you hit the throttle fast you can smoke the belt pretty easy (I know from experience)[:D]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but it's definitely a burnt belt.
Alot of times people forget to take off their emergency brake and hit the gas, it only takes one short blast of the throttle with the sled not moving to cause a small divot. You would be amazed how big that little divot feels.
At least it sounds like just a simple fix, even if it was a new belt, still easy if not "cheap" fix.
Hopefully you'll be smiling when all is well with a new belt, even if you are cussing while you're throwing that "new" belt away.
Happy trails!
Jeff

·
Registered
580 Posts
also you can get a jerking sensation of your drive shaft bearings (chaincase or speedo) are goin out.Lift rear of sled and grab drive shaft to see if any end up/down play.....if you you watch you can usually hear it clunking when spinning.

for a quick check of belt. stick the old one back on and see if it stills jerks.
My mother smokes hers all the time.

Letting your track freeze into snow without breaking loose before moving will fry a belt instantly.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
snowolf said:
Letting your track freeze into snow without breaking loose before moving will fry a belt instantly.
just happened to me yesterday

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Burnt a brand new belt in wet snow trying to get it into the back of a 3/4 ton truck.

I would take the belt off, check it very carefully.

With belt off, put sled up on a stand and turn the secondary clutch with your hand, check that the track can go completely around with out binding.

check track make sure something isnt stuck in there.

check clutches for rust or?

try a different belt, see what happens.

does it run smooth???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts