Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 polaris rxl650. Its a mint looking sled and hauls but not at take off. the sled takes off at 4900 rpm. i bring it up to about 4800 rpm then punch it. for like 3 seconds it just bogs then it flies. if im in high rpm and i let off and punch it there is no bog just at take off. i know all the stuff about carbs and what the problem could be if it was carberuarated but its EFI:(. i am new to efi and dont know much about except there really touchy. could a weak battert do this. Low compression. any suggestions would be helpful.

Also i foul plugs like crazy. when i start it up for the first time during the day it fouls plugs on takeoff. after that im all set. i was told to let it idle for a long time which i do. is there any special way of taking off with and efi. once again any tips would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I haven't had a fuel injected 650, but I had a few carburated ( I can't spell carbeurated either). Mine all bogged, but I took care of it with clutching. As far as fouling plugs, you can check the heat range of the plug and maybe go hotter.Since the efi, if it is working properly, dictates the amount of fuel you get, maybe there is something wrong with the temperature sensor to tell the choke to shut off. The older triples, and I've had many, never liked to idle for extended periods of time. They would foul, but they were all carbed so it doesn't neccesarily have any significance to you. Did I confuse you cause I think I've confused myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
things to check,
loose belt
ALL electrical connections for the battery, must be clean and tight
the battery also must be in excellent shape
have it hooked up to the polaris efi tool and check the tpi setting
too low a setting will cause a bog
make sure throttle bodies are synched and safety switches are
set correctly
check fuel tank venting and fuel line pickup
rebuild primary and secondary clutches as they are probably very worn
use a hot seat clutch kit when rebuilding

i think you will find that a combination of the above is causing your problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by RXL650:
I have a 1993 polaris rxl650. Its a mint looking sled and hauls but not at take off. the sled takes off at 4900 rpm. i bring it up to about 4800 rpm then punch it. for like 3 seconds it just bogs then it flies. if im in high rpm and i let off and punch it there is no bog just at take off. i know all the stuff about carbs and what the problem could be if it was carberuarated but its EFI:(. i am new to efi and dont know much about except there really touchy. could a weak battert do this. Low compression. any suggestions would be helpful.

Also i foul plugs like crazy. when i start it up for the first time during the day it fouls plugs on takeoff. after that im all set. i was told to let it idle for a long time which i do. is there any special way of taking off with and efi. once again any tips would be helpful.

Thanks.
[/quote]

may the force be with you

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with williwonka. RXL have never been known for their throttle response off the line, but with a bog that bad it seem like a belt or clutching. If your fouling a lot of plugs check your oil consumption. It should be about 150 miles a quart. If your using to much there is a adjustment you can make right underneath the throttlebodies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts