Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was doing the preseason checks on the RXL and I found this lovely surprise in the chaincase.

[attachment=50187]

That would look good going down the trail at 80 mph! [;)]

Anyways how many other people do a routine check of their machine?

Erick we know you just build a a new sled every year![;)]

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yikes!

That could have made a big mess. I ended up buying some used parts from a guy last year who had his chain let go at high speed. It looked like a bomb had gone off inside the chaincase.

Was that missing piece just sitting in the bottom of the chaincase? Definitely a good reason to perform a good annual chaincase inspection.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I usually don't do much for my preseason check. Usually I just make sure that I have extra sparks and the wrench and emergency stuff in the back of the seat. I make sure the bars and extensions and lines are "pinch" free and make sure that everything can turn and adjust things if they need to be adjusted. I repainted my skis this year and I just hopefully make sure that the sled won't bog out on me because thats a big drag. I usually idle the sled to make sure it runs and if it doesn't i can order my parts BEFORE the season starts as opposed to wasting snow days waiting for parts.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
sweet, busted link. Had a buddy snap his chain while water skipping....that did not end well

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have had that happen more than once on my pre hyvo chains.

I check my stuff over pretty well. You can not always check everything. I have been lucky with no major break downs.

Just be glad you don't have a big block pro x. You have to remove engine to check the water pump belt.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Good catch, Triple650Indy. I try to be pretty thorough in looking over the sled between post- and pre-season maintenance, but I doubt I would have caught that one if it had been on my XLT. That is about the ONLY reason the old chaincases without the drain plug and dipstick were better. While I have time before the snow comes I may just pull the cover on mine, too.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I did find it was because the link was laying down in the case. Also I'm lucky I won't be dropping $$ to get a new chain. My brothers former chassis had a good chain yet that conviently fits in there perfectly. Also I changed out the bearings because there was quite a bit of shrapnel in there. The stealership hammered me for $21 a piece! Cripes I could have bought a whole new chaincase on ebay!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If you change the chain, shouldn't you also change the gears? I thought that chains/gears that have not been together should not be placed together.

I usually try to go to a bearing supply house for that type of bearings. You usually get a better quality bearing for a lower price.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
triple650indy, after you posted this topic i went out to check my chaincase as well. i pulled it off cleaned it and thankfully didn't find anything wrong with it. im glad you posted this because i would have never of thought to check that.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by jdzaharia
[br]If you change the chain, shouldn't you also change the gears? I thought that chains/gears that have not been together should not be placed together.
Nope, that doesn't make a difference. Just want to make sure your sprockets aren't wore out.

I have yet to open up the chaincase on my sled, in fact I don't think I even checked the fluid level last year...then again it's not like there was much riding anyways.

Other then that, hifax's are pretty much the only thing I really look at for wear.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
that pic is exactly why i pull my case apart before season.
i have a buddy that never checks anything. his 2 year old sled has been through more idler wheels than anything i have ever seen. and last year he couldnt figure out why his sled wouldnt move. after telling him his chain was prolly in 2, he didnt believe me. and he wouldnt let me prove it too him, had to wait for our other buddy cause he is also a cat fan, and us polaris riders dont know ****.(his exact words) i bet him 20 bucks. come to think of it, he hasnt paid me. by the way,, if any of u have met him out in yellowstone, they were calling him DLB Drunk Little Bastard

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It sure sucks if you lose a chain out in the boonies. Happened to me 3 years ago and had to be towed 15 miles back to a road by a SKIDOO, I still get razzed about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts