Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some searching and found a chart that says the 21/40 gearing is no good. http://www.hardcoresledder.com/SNOWMOBILESPROCKET.htm why can't that combo be used? Also, how do you figure out the pitch of the chain? I put the gears and chain in and everything seems to work fine, and the chain I have is a good length. maybe I'm missing something? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No idea, but my '03 Indy 500 in the Edge style came stock with 21/40 gears and 74 pitch chain. Count the number of pins in the chain and divide by two, that's the chain pitch.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Which chart are you looking at. Some combo's won't fit the edge but will fit the older pre 96 chaincase...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think the change is do to the longer chaincase and HYVO chain installed on the sleds after 98 and on the earlier domestic twins. Right around that point, the gearing sizes changed on several sleds. I just noticed the 98 and 97 Indy 500's have almost the same exact motors, but have different gearing and clutching.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. I just looked at the chart a little closer and see that I was looking in the XCF column, I just glanced at it and saw "standard" and thought that applied to me. I guess I have nothing to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts