Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people post pics of their sleds and they don't have the front two boggie wheels on either side of the rear skid. They only have the very back boggie wheels, is there a point to this? Does it hurt anything?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Alot of guys remove them for less drag. You only really need them for low snow. All they really do is reduce hyfax wear.

Look at the race and mtn sleds they have very few.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
They do it for weight, not drag. Having those wheels there reduces drag.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the racers leave em off because when you don't land straight they can twist and break your slide rails.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I was always told the wheels put more drag on the motor and added rotational mass. Guy could have been blowing smoke up my a**.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
They do it for weight and drag. The wheels will distort the track enough to where it causes additional drag. Your sled will be fine without them but keep an eye on things when on lakes or in low snow conditions because the sliders will heat up faster and wear out quicker if there isn't enough lubrication.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br] if there isn't enough lubrication.
DOn't ya hate that when that happens? [8D]

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just curious as to why people did, I personally think it makes the sled look a little better because the skid looks less cluttered. I might just do it for looks. Where I live there is probably enough snow, I could always keep an eye one it and put them back on if I see any problems.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hyfax is cheap and expendable.

With that said: I have taken off all of mine with the exception of the back wheels off. I ride primarily deep snow and hyfax wear is not a concern of mine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you want to take them off thats great I have done it to my RMK. To prevent hyfax wear and promote cooling go buy yourself a set of scratchers!!! It will reduce the wear by a whole hell of a lot!!!!

DW

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who makes scratchers, and where can I get them?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I beleive slp has them....

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=23&productID=130

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't get their silly bent things that attach to the ski bolt, they are worthless. You can go onto eBay and pick up a pair, just enter "ice-scratchers". They are generic Holzt scratchers and you can fab a bracket to fit them to the front of the ski, or on the rail.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
FanaticEdgeX,
Fab1 on here sells them and the ones he has you do not need to make anything plus the quality of his are great. The ones I have are really good too but there is a guy around here that just makes them per request basically. He has a excellent product and we pick them up so if you would like I could pick them up for you and ship them. They would be like 40 plus shipping.

DW

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My 440 came w/o any and I'm going to initially try it that way and see how it works. The only time I think it'll be a problem is in low snow conditions or high speed trail runs.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by DAN_8485
[br]FanaticEdgeX,
Fab1 on here sells them and the ones he has you do not need to make anything plus the quality of his are great. The ones I have are really good too but there is a guy around here that just makes them per request basically. He has a excellent product and we pick them up so if you would like I could pick them up for you and ship them. They would be like 40 plus shipping.

DW
Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it and keep it in mind. I'm kind of low on cash right now and I still have to take my sled in the shop to get tuned and running right. I've read reviews on scratchers and it sounds like good ones can mean as much as a 20 degree cooling difference in low snow conditions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
not only should you run scratchers but to get the best results from not running boggies you should go to hyperfax. They are hyfax witha graffite insert down the middle. standers hyfax melt at around 400 degrees and hyperfax melting point is around 700 degrees. you should be able to find them at any dealer or in slp catalog.[attachment=49381]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts