Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering why snowmobiles stopped using radiators under the hood and switched to heat exchangers.
benifets with radiator:dont have to go through snow to make it cool down, can ride in less snow then you can with heat exchangers i was just wondering?[?][?][?]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
heat exchangers are more than likely lighter than a radiator and more convenient, i never herad of radiators under the hood, what models where thsoe oN?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Arctic cat el tigre 86-87(i think) had a radiator under the hood.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Much of the answer probably deals with the fact that water, in this case snow, can absorb more heat than air.

·
Registered
59 Posts
John Deere Liquifires and Liquidators. I know the Liquifires had a combination radiator and heat exchanger at the front of the tunnel. Great engineering for the 70's and 80's.

Mark

·
Registered
266 Posts
[^]Kawasaki Invaders had radiators too. A radiator requires movement to pass air over it. When you stop...no cooling. This came into play in the world of racing. Sleds would be on the line waiting for the start and temps would rise to dangerous levels or puke coolant awaiting the green flag. So, the racers started adding exchangers along with radiators and soon realized that the exchangers alone were efficient enough to do the job.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info and,where can i get a nose cone radiator for my sled or do i have to make one out of like a old motorcycle radiator or something like that because this year i am havin a hard time ridin my sled because lack of snow and all so the old v-max's like the 1984 ones had radiators under the hood later guys.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Exciter man a set of ice scratchers may work for you. They are springs that either attach to your skis or your suspension that drag in the snow or on the ice and keeps the snow dust going over the coolers. They also work well to keep the hifax from sticking. Riley

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have never heard of ice scratchers or any thing like that where could i get some info on those products?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts