Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Ultra's were such a great machine then why were they only made for 3 years? Even the XLT and the RXL had a longer run then that.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Because they got introduced right before the twins started taking over. Ultra started in 96 but the basic motor lasted until '03 with the xcr 800. Domestic twins started in 98.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
There was more demand for the 700 twin.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I believe there were a couple reasons.

Polaris was switching to twins for the most part. The only triple they kept for any length was the 800 XCR. (I mean during that time period - ignoring the old 650's and storms, etc)

They were also changing body styles. Wasn't the 98 Ultra Touring in an aggressive chasssis?

I assume (I use that loosely) that since it was different engines and different body styles, why call it the same thing?

Just because the 3rd Gen RX-7 was made for 3 years doesn't make it a bad car, it was just a little ahead of its time and tech went a different direction. Same for the Polaris Centurion, and the same thing applies here.

Just my .02!

Bryan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have liked to seen the ultra in an evolved or pro x chassis.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Twins became the way it is and definetly put a damper on the whole Triple/Triple era. I love the old rides but triples have always be more prone to cause problems for a rider. Nice Ultra BTW.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by BUDZ-TOYZ
[br]Twins became the way it is and definetly put a damper on the whole Triple/Triple era. I love the old rides but triples have always be more prone to cause problems for a rider. Nice Ultra BTW.
In what way?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I could afford a chassis and anextra motor I would build one. BUT I would need custom pipes and that is too much money. I pick up my ultra in two weeks!!! Can't wait to ride it!!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by snake61047
[br]I would have liked to seen the ultra in a pro x chassis.
I got one [:D] Pipes don't have to be horribly expensive. You can cut and fit ones for a different chassis. Thats what I'm doing.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]
Originally posted by snake61047
[br]I would have liked to seen the ultra in a pro x chassis.
I got one [:D] Pipes don't have to be horribly expensive. You can cut and fit ones for a different chassis. Thats what I'm doing.
What do you have left to do to it?

Did you get all of the pipes to fit?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
What do you have left to do to it?

Did you get all of the pipes to fit?
Steering and pipes. I've got two sets of pipes, not sure which ones I'm going to use right now. Steering I should have mostly done this weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts