Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did Polaris stop using Fuji motors??

Fuji go under? who else uses there motors?

do they help with the new motors?

I have fuji motors in my 71 Polaris's.... always thought they where the best motor around.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Polaris still works with fuji,I believe most of the ATV motors are still fuji. The fan cooled motors such as the 488 and 550 are fugi as well,it is just the high performance liquids that are now liberty built.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
^My outlaw quad had a KTM 525 in it. Tell you what, if they could somehow use KTM's 4-stroke ability in there sled motors, they'd be sitting pretty!
200710720053_19673.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info....

So why are the liberty built here?? Dont get me wrong, I think it's great that Polaris builds most of there stuff here, but just wondered what there motive was??

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Fugi engine are heavier and piston ported, not a lot of power either.

I would image(this is speculation, not fact) when Polaris started looking for more power to take a lead in the market they put together an engine design team to see what they needed to come up with. As that evolved they realized it would be much cheaper to design and build their own engines in house. That way they can control costs and engine development. I have also yet to see a stock case reed fugi engine, they may have not wanted to do case reed and so Polaris designed their own engines.

EDIT* I take that last comment back, I forgot about the XCR's, those were Fugi too I think?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
The later triples made were case reed fujis such as the ultra and XCRs.

sledneck1978 said:
My outlaw quad had a KTM 525 in it. Tell you what, if they could somehow use KTM's 4-stroke ability in there sled motors, they'd be sitting pretty!
200710720053_19673.jpg
KTM does build a fast 4 stroke,I believe that 525 is around 52HP and the yamaha 660 Raptor is 37HP for comparison.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
From 89 - present, the 580/600 and 650 triples are piston-port, all other Fuji triples (680/700/750/800 Storm & XCR) are case-reed..

I believe that the move to the Liberty engines was a corporate cost cutting measure. Fuji didn't make a high powered twin, only high powered triples, and to get all the power out of a triple requires triple pipes.

Since it was cheaper to engineer and produce a twin that only required a single pipe, Polaris went that way.

Fuji (Fuji Heavy Industries) is still alive and well, producing Subaru engines as well as others.

·
Registered
84 Posts
KTM does build a fast 4 stroke,I believe that 525 is around 52HP and the yamaha 660 Raptor is 37HP for comparison.
yamaha's 500 4stroke twin is over 80 hp.
cat's non-turboed 660 is right at 40 horse
maybe 660 is just a bad size... haha

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I believe that the older Kawasaki sleds and the fuji engines had some sort of relationship together i think that Fuji kind of copied the engines that were in the invaders or something like that. I remember a person saying that the 500 liquid Fuji that I have is almost like the bottom part of the engine in the invaders

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
ive never heard of a 500twin 4 stroke from Yami. What is it out of?

·
Registered
85 Posts
SnowAttitude said:
Why did Polaris stop using Fuji motors??

Fuji go under? who else uses there motors?

do they help with the new motors?

I have fuji motors in my 71 Polaris's.... always thought they where the best motor around.
Did they split recently? If so, polaris recently bought a swedish company that is suppose to be awesome at motor technologies. This could be the reason. I can't remember the name though.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The split started in 1997 and completed in 2003. Had nothing to do with the recent acquisition.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
^My outlaw quad had a KTM 525 in it. Tell you what, if they could somehow use KTM's 4-stroke ability in there sled motors, they'd be sitting pretty!
200710720053_19673.jpg
I read a few years ago that Polaris bought part of ktm.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
to bad polaris dont go back, then maybe we would have something.
they went back to them in the atvs, they only used there liberty engines for a few years.

how many old indy 400-500 did you see run to 10k miles, same with xlts, xcrs and pretty much most sleds. and that was from the 80's and 90's. how many 06 model sleds do you see with 10k pretty trouble free miles?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
madcow said:
to bad polaris dont go back, then maybe we would have something.
they went back to them in the atvs, they only used there liberty engines for a few years.

how many old indy 400-500 did you see run to 10k miles, same with xlts, xcrs and pretty much most sleds. and that was from the 80's and 90's. how many 06 model sleds do you see with 10k pretty trouble free miles?
That's debatable. A few do, but many don't... Many older fuji's also didn't. The 600 mono's had PTO bearing issues like the 800 twins had PTO bearing issues.. There's others as well.

All in all though, cheaping out has not done Polaris a lot of good, in a large part due to motor issues. The fusion debacle, and the 800 crank issues, and the new dragon meltdown issues have all taken a toll on Polaris reputation. They went from more than 45% market share thruout the 90's, to less than 25% now.

Who knows if they can ever recover from that, in these financial times.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
i dont think its fair to compare a sled motor to quads lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts