Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Everyone,

I have a 1988 phazer with an aftermarket pipe and it ran when I bought it in january. I rode it across the yard and then put it away for the season because of no snow. Now with snow in the forecast I get it ready. I start it and it won't rev past 3 grand. I pulled the plugs and they were ok but 2 diffrent brands. I bought 2 br9es's, gapped them, and put them in and still the same thing! Now I now that it is 60 degrees out so I'm thinking this might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Does the Phazer have the "tors" on it?.....If it does, I would unhook that and see if that helps.....I would bet thats it. I have owned 3 Exciters and the 1st thing I did with all of them was unhook that. They are a great system in theroy...But often had issues. the tors is supose to sense if the throttle(slides) get stuck and then will not let it rev up(past X rpms). You can try and adjust you throttle cable freeplay, and clean the carbs and see if its sensing something "real" happening...then see if it works when you get it back together.....or put on a stand, Unhook amd giver, let us know of the out come.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm gonna agree with 3ft. I think thats exactly what your situation is there. The phazers don't have a light on the guages to tell you like the v-max's and exciters did. Unplug it, if it works thats the problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tors is already disabled. I was disabled whan I got it. If I leave the wires unplugged from each other i will have no spark.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im thinking maybe my silencer is plugged from a nest or something. I had a dirtbike do the same thing because of a nest in the pipe.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Well, that would do it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would look for that kind of thing too, I've had that happen before. about the same... does it stink as it warms up? let it idle for a while, and warm up...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only ran it for a couple minutes. I would go check it out bit it is pouring ou side. And they say we are going to get 4-8 inches of snow!!! It's 55 degrees! Ya right!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
In instances like this, it is always best to go back to the basics. You indicate a possible plugged exhaust, Take it off and make sure it is cleaned.(Should have plugged/damned the end while putting it away) Does the air box have a nest in it, do you have old gas in it? Any chance the carbs are pooched, this new Ethanol gas is terrible, even after a couple of weeks,

Just take a systematic approach and eliminate things. Best way I have found.

Bulldog

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean by pooched? I cleaned the carbs and airbox. It has new gas and I just pulled the pipe and I can blow through both ends and nothing is raddling inside.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a nest in between my recoil and the flywheel. It was 28 degrees this morning when I started it ans I let it warm up and it would hit 7 grand but slowly. Thats when I saw the nest. I took it out but haven't tried it yet. It is definatly running rich.
Thanks for the help everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts