Snowmobile Fanatics banner

why won't it start?

572 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  luvemall 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 91 Polaris Indy 650, I got it cheap because it wouldn't start, no big deal I thought but then I got it home and started checking it out. It has spark in all 3 cylinders, seems to have good compression although I haven't done a compression test yet, and yes it has gas in it. by all the fundamentals of an internal combustion engine it should start but it won't. any thoughts would save my sanity.[:p]

#2 ·
Are the sparg plugs wet or dry? If it is dry then good possibility there is not getting any gass through the carb. If it is wet it could be flooding or maybe the engine cut-off-switch is made and grounding out. just a couple ideas.....[:(]

#3 ·
has it been siting around for awhile? are the carbs clean and getting any gas? how about a mouse nest in the airbox or exhaust. is that old gas or new gas? old plugs can show a spark laying on top of an engine but wont fire under compression. might even have stuck rings. that ought to keep you busy for awhile![:D]

#6 ·
If it just has screens over the carbs you might try spraying some starting fluid in and see if it fires ( no choke ). If it does then I would pull the carbs and clean them real good, especially the jets.
Install new plugs, might help

#7 ·
the rings stick to the piston from crap in the groove. most times you got to pull the jugs to unstick them and clean the groove properly. i have seen engines come back by pouring a bit of oil down the spark plug hole (temporarly boosts compression by sealing the rings)sometimes that will get em going and free the rings up but it is not a proper fix.[:eek:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.