Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am lookin into two sleds and wondering wich is the better buy and if i should try to stay away from a triple and why? a 2000 zrt 800 sno pro for $2500 or an 02 zr 800 cross country efi for $3200 please give me some feedback if u have some input thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome to snowmobile fanatics!

Are the ads online, if so do you have the links?

Triples tend to be heavier and are higher speed sleds. So if you are doing a lot of lake or trail riding then the ZRT is going to be faster. But if you go off-trail at all or live in an area that gets a lot of snow, the ZR will be lighter and handle better in various conditions. I'm not a pro at ACs but i think that the ZR has a 1.25" track which will make it more versatile, it will do better in the loose snow/powder. Also the 'cross country' either means that it has that 1.25 track and/or that it is extended to more than the standard 121" so that will make it all the better. Crossover sled are well balanced sleds. And I can't say much about whether or not they are good deals, your location would be helpful in determining what those sleds go for also. But I think that you could probably find a better deal on an 02 ZR 800 EFI, but then again idk what kind of mileage would be on it or the condition.

Keep checking up on this post, there are more people that know about these sleds more than myself on the site. Once again, URLs are always helpful, people here can catch things in them that you may have overlooked; or you could just provide a more detailed description.

My personal preference of those sleds would be the 02 ZR, I've ridden an 03 ZR 900 and a 97ish ZRT 600, i liked the feel of the ZR better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
ZRT those things are fast!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
i would take the triple. this is coming from a guy who rides a twin too. the only downside I see in a triple is you get the old '90s suspension technology so the ride can be rough. but people find ways around that: either uprading the suspension or stuffing a triple into a newer chassis.

·
Registered
654 Posts
the cross country has better suspension lighter i have owned t cats xcr and storms i would go with that zr cross country just my 2 cents try to beat him up to 3 grand 2900 evan 28? dont hurt to ask

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'd take the 800 cce. Really solid sled, 1.25 cce track, it is a 121 but has rezy shocks on all 4's I believe. They are great sleds

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
For starters, I'm fairly certain there was never a production ZRT SnoPro. You might want to look into that a little more.

The ZRT should be good for just shy of 150hp. The triples are known to be lake screamers, this one should be no different. If you are a power whore, this should be the obvious choice.

On the flip side, the ZR 800 should be pushing around 140hp. The CCE is going to consist of (as compared to a standard ZR) an upgraded suspension package (remote reservoirs on all shocks, with a dial-adjust on the front track shock), different graphics, and a 1.25" track. The Cat batteryless EFI systems are very proven...pull the rope and go despite the conditions outside.

It's all a matter of what you intend to do with the sled. If you like to go fast and fly through the trails, the ZRT will have more go. If you are going to be ditchbanging, jumping, etc...the ZR is going to hold up better to the abuse. The ZR is also going to require slightly less maintenance, as there are no carburetors to clean.

The ZRT isn't too badly priced, but the ZR seems a little high. No matter which one you look into though, I would try to come down on the prices.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Are those canadian prices? I wouldn't pay nearly that much for either of those sleds. Each one of those is price $750-1000 too high IMO

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Quinlan said:
For starters, I'm fairly certain there was never a production ZRT SnoPro. You might want to look into that a little more.

The ZRT should be good for just shy of 150hp. The triples are known to be lake screamers, this one should be no different. If you are a power whore, this should be the obvious choice.

On the flip side, the ZR 800 should be pushing around 140hp. The CCE is going to consist of (as compared to a standard ZR) an upgraded suspension package (remote reservoirs on all shocks, with a dial-adjust on the front track shock), different graphics, and a 1.25" track. The Cat batteryless EFI systems are very proven...pull the rope and go despite the conditions outside.

It's all a matter of what you intend to do with the sled. If you like to go fast and fly through the trails, the ZRT will have more go. If you are going to be ditchbanging, jumping, etc...the ZR is going to hold up better to the abuse. The ZR is also going to require slightly less maintenance, as there are no carburetors to clean.

The ZRT isn't too badly priced, but the ZR seems a little high. No matter which one you look into though, I would try to come down on the prices.
well your right zrt is not a snow pro..and not all cce have remote reservior shocks with a dial for the front

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
..and not all cce have remote reservior shocks with a dial for the front
All the ones I've ever seen have. They didn't have clickers, but had remote reservoirs.

Alot of guys do remove the dial-adjust since they are notorious for failure (replace with std Fox shock). The lines break, thus draining all your shock fluid and can ruin the shock.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I agree with Quinlan on that there was no ZRT 800 Sno-Pro or if there was I have never seen one. I forgot what year it was but I think it was the last year Arctic Cat made a ZRT they did put on wide running boards that were seen on sno pro models maybe someone could clarify this. As for what sled to get Personally I would go for the ZR 800 CCE, the reason why is because the suspension was very good on the CCE models, as for raw HP the ZRT is the winner in this match. Do not get me wrong the ZR 800 has power but as for lake racing goes the ZRT would be the winner. I think what ever you choose you would be very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I got a 2002 zr 800 for $2700 this summer and it only had 1800 miles in perfect shape, so $3200 is too much IMO.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
I got a 2002 zr 800 for $2700 this summer and it only had 1800 miles in perfect shape, so $3200 is too much IMO.
I wouldn't say that. Pice can vary depending on loacation and he may be somewhere where sleds are worth a lot more.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
I wouldn't say that. Pice can vary depending on loacation and he may be somewhere where sleds are worth a lot more.
True but i feel i overpayed a bit for mine so $3200 wouldn't be worth it for me unless it was canadian.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
wouldnt the better question be what chassis is better? who cares about the engines, if hp is what you are after the zrt hands down is a lake/groomed trail screamer with endless hp. literally depending on your budget you can be over 300 hp. the zr will be a more rough trail friendly sled with good corner to corner speed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
madcow said:
wouldnt the better question be what chassis is better? who cares about the engines, if hp is what you are after the zrt hands down is a lake/groomed trail screamer with endless hp. literally depending on your budget you can be over 300 hp. the zr will be a more rough trail friendly sled with good corner to corner speed.
That's what I was getting at. But since we don't have much input from him on his riding details, style, location, etc. it's hard to say much.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Seems to me that moto is right. That price sounds a little steep no matter where you are. I would talk them down as much as possible. IMHO....Fuzz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts