Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a '91 wildcat 700 carbed I'm looking to freshen up. It's been sitting in a field for three years (it's in remarkable shape for that, I'll try and get pics) so I wanna pull the motor apart to check everything, then probably a ball hone, new rings, gaskets and seals. This will be my first oil injection liquid cooled motor rebuild and I've got a couple questions.

1) Does anyone have a secret to getting the flywheel housing off the case withou stripping the philips head machine screws?
2) On the cooling system should I use any RTV or threebond in addition to any gaskets?
3) Do I need any copper spray or anything on the heads besides the rubber o-ring gaskets?
4) Once built, do I have to prime the oil injection pump? If so, how?
5) While apart, is there anything these 700's really responds well too? (reeds, port, polish, clutching, etc.)

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
509 Posts
On the Flywheel housing I was in the same boat as you I just gotta a perfect fitting Phillips and then hit the screw driver with a hammer then get a box wrench and to fit a the screwdriver where the handle is and just take it slow and they should come out( I learned the hard way) And then For the oil Pump a least on my exciter I have a separate switch (looks like a choke switch) That will prime your lines. when I did mine I mixed my gas the way the oil pump would make it cant remember the gas mixture ratio Ran it the snowmobile then just from the oil line of that comes from the pump and just let it pump it out into a rag until it a solid bead coming out and then you should be good and make sure you get all the air bubbles out of it to or it wont be so good.
So hope this helps

·
Registered
129 Posts
Isn't the flywheel housing held on by four allen, socket head, cap screws. Every one I've done has been. You better check it to be sure it's phillips head.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure there philips heads, like eight of them. It was that way on the other two arctic cat engines I did. One way I though about priming the oil line is to disconnect the throttle cables of the carbs and reassmble them so the sliders don't open. Take the plugs out open up the throttle and pull on the recoil until the oil starts streaming out. Would this work? I know it's more tedious but i don't wanna run it without oil and wreck it (I'm paramnoid). If anyone else has any more info it be great!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you must be talking about the water pump housing. Like Exiterfan says get a perfect screw driver and tap on it. If you strip one, it is possible to get them off with vice-grips. I personally never reuse those screws. I replace them with the same size hex head screws, that way they're never a problem again. I also use permatex sealant on the waterpump, but you have to be careful not to plug the weep hole with it. Don't put anything but the "o" rings on the heads. On the oil pump there is a bleeder screw for priming, I have never used it. I just premix half a tank of fuel, run it at idle and hold the oil pump lever wide open at idle till it's primed, then fill up the fuel tank with gas. The little oil in the fuel is a little added insurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
daver36 said:
I just aquired a '91 wildcat 700 carbed I'm looking to freshen up. It's been sitting in a field for three years (it's in remarkable shape for that, I'll try and get pics) so I wanna pull the motor apart to check everything, then probably a ball hone, new rings, gaskets and seals. This will be my first oil injection liquid cooled motor rebuild and I've got a couple questions.

1) Does anyone have a secret to getting the flywheel housing off the case withou stripping the philips head machine screws?
2) On the cooling system should I use any RTV or threebond in addition to any gaskets?
3) Do I need any copper spray or anything on the heads besides the rubber o-ring gaskets?
4) Once built, do I have to prime the oil injection pump? If so, how?
5) While apart, is there anything these 700's really responds well too? (reeds, port, polish, clutching, etc.)

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
16 ft/lb.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll always run a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas premixed with oil as said above and then keep an eye on the oil tank level and make sure it's going down before you start adding straight gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts