Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if 35" tires will fit my 98 chey 1/2 ton, if i put a 2" body lift and tighten my torsion bars in the front and put blocks under the back leafs to level the truck?

or if not how high do i have to go?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had 35's on my old truck ('97 Z71), and I had to have a 6" suspension lift so it didn't rub while turning or with full suspension travel.So I guess it depends on how much you gain with the torsion bars.And your wheel offset. If your interested...
Pro Comp has 6"lift and 35"wheel/tire combos for about 2500. Hope that helps. Goodluck.

Dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
They will likely fit if you do not flex it too much and have the proper offset rims. On IFS trucks, rim offset is critical.

I would strongly recommend against both tightening the torsion bars and against putting in lift blocks. Tightening the torsion bars will make the ride horrible. Lift blocks will likely cause quite a bit of axle wrap (or hop) in the rear. If you want to run 35's, I would strongly suggest waiting and saving your money til you can do it right (a good 6" full suspension lift). Heck, it took me 5 years to get my Jeep to where I wanted it. In the long run, you will not be happy with the truck doing what you suggest.

Sorry to be a buzz kill[:(]

·
Registered
106 Posts
My husband has lifted quite a few Chevy and GMC trucks ( ours is in the "lets see them trucks" post under alternate transportation pg 4 2nd set of picts, the black one) So I'll ask him for you when I get home.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I agree with jeeper1, wait until you can afford a lift kit. Cranking to torsion bars causes extra stress on front end components suck as shocks, balljoints, axles, and steering parts. Not only will the ride be terrible, but the chances of breaking stuff is greatly increased.

·
Registered
63 Posts
35" tires will NOT fit a 1998 Chev 1/2 ton with only 2" of lift. I have lifted many Chevrolet Fullsizes including my own. I highly recommend that you do not crank the torsion bars. Not only does the truck very hard, but you eat up suspension and steering components like there is no tomorrow.
33" tires are recommended for trucks with only 3" body lifts so that should tell you something. You may squeeze the 35's under there but I will guarantee they will rub when turn. I lifted my friends 1998 Chevrolet K1500 with 6" Trailmaster suspension and a 3" body lift and the 35" tires look good on it with a little room to spare but not much.
Any questions feel free to PM me or email me. Hope I can be of some help.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay thanks for the replys i dont think i will adjust the torsion bars, and im going to wait and see what comes up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts