Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i toasted the lower end on my 95 XLT with the what most people would call the 597cc even though the case says 598cc any ways i can get a real ggod deal on the lower end from a 93 XLT 579cc will the top end fit on the lower end if so that would be great i would not have to drill out the PTO oiler hole

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes it will fit. My 93 xlt 580 has a 97 bottem end with the 4th oil line and big bearings

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The 579's did not experience the PTO bearing failures in as great of numbers as the 597's (it's Polaris that calls them 597, not us) partially because of the larger displacement.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so in theory if i get the 579 lower end drill out the PTO oiler for good measure i should be fine as far as PTO bearing failure and then maybe even able to pipe it?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you pipe any monojug motor, you will be guaranteed to be rebuilding it again.

Might last part of a season. Or a whole season. Or a couple of seasons. It all depends on how hard you ride it. Judging by the fact that you keep asking if you can pipe it, I'd say you'd likely be using it fairly hard, and end up on the shorter side of the rebuild cycle.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then i guess i wont pipe it maybe clutching it is the way to go cause i would prefer if i am going to do a complete over haul that it last at least another 6000 miles especially if i fix the oiler hole issue anyone know of good gears and clutch kit combo that would help both low and top end?

oh and just so im clear the 580 bottem will work with the 600 top?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yes, the 579/597 combo will work.

If you want 6,000 more miles do a complete rebuild, and leave it totally stock except the oiler mod..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i am getting a low miles 580 lower end and i dont realy have the cash to get the crank done but i am going to drill the oiler hole out i am completelly redoing the top end though and im hoping to get a few thousand out of her but i also have a line on a RXL 650 motor so who knows

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Don't count on drilling the oiler hole out as a 'cure all'. I drilled mine out and my 97 still only lasted 4000 miles.

You are better off finding a 4 line oil pump from a newer XLT and doing that mod instead of just the oiler hole. If you look at the PTO side of case, there should be a little outcasting on the case. That's where the oiler goes. Drill straight down and that will line up over the PTO bearings. I used a small brass pipe instead of a check valve for the fitting. You may have to grind a hair (maybe 1 mm) off the jug to fit the oil line on. It's a tight fit. That will allow oil to flow freely to those bearings.

I did that mod too. Don't know the rest of the story since I sold the motor shortly after.

D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im wondering if because the 4 line oil pump is ard to come by i have been looking i am wondering if i could drill in the hole for the line like your saying and cap it off and lube it a few times a year if that would work ?? that would be cheaper then finding a fourth line pump

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
XLT_DEMON said:
im wondering if because the 4 line oil pump is ard to come by i have been looking i am wondering if i could drill in the hole for the line like your saying and cap it off and lube it a few times a year if that would work ?? that would be cheaper then finding a fourth line pump
In a 1 word answer, no.

Why bother going to all the work of drilling the hole, if you're not going to feed the bearing the constant flow of oil it needs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts