Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've driven one on a trip to michigan and it was a great sled. Good power, good suspension, and fairly light too. We had no problems with this one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got a '98 500 that I used for quite a while and with a nice clutch kit, the sled is as fast as I would expect a 500 to be. Whether you will like it all depends on your driving preferences, are you a ditch-banger, a trail rider, or lake-racer?

All I installed were CF1 ramps and *I Believe* a purple/gold spring, although I would have to double check the spring color to be confident, and I ran the ditches and most trails with stock 600s and 670s, with NO OTHER performance mods but clutching. However, on long, straight trails - or when crossing a lake - the sled is easily surpassed by the larger motors above 60 - 65mph, as one would expect. I believe top end was somewhere around 90 - 92 mph, according to the speedo, but I never did any radar runs with it or verified the speedo, so I could be high.

Also, remember the '98 500 is a rotary valve, not a case reed, so there are big differences between this 500 and other 500 twins, namely: no choke. This rotary 500 uses a primer instead of a choke for those cold starts, so you quickly establish the rule: "No one starts my sled but me," or you'll quickly have fouled plugs. It's tricky to get used to at first, but you learn to deal with it: 3 squirts if she's been sitting for a summer, 2 squirts on those cold mornings, and a squirt any other time its not warmed up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info - I knew it had the rotary valves - but I am not familiar with ski-doos and rv's. Will these produce more power on the low and mid range than reed valved engines ? And how were the variable exhausts they used back then - I understand that this particular year and model did have a re-call from the factory because they used the wrong valve springs plus they re-called them do to improper jetting issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts