Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished rebuilding the sled and she will not start. I have spark to both cylinders, but it seems as if I am not getting any gas. I have gas to the floats but dont seem like it is getting to the piston. I cleaned the carbs about a month ago. Any chance that it might have gummed up that fast. Or any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Sounds like mabe a bad fuel pump,another thing is sometimes the take awhile to prime so you might have to pour gas down the line and blow on it..It should at least fire cause chances are both carbs arnt plugged,but hey who knows..

·
Registered
85 Posts
when you say "rebuilt", what do you mean, is the timing off, all the gaskets seated properly? could be a bunch of different things, carb boots tight? choke adjustment? are the plugs wet or dry? bad fuel? process of elimination!
good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the plugs are never wet I am not getting any gas to the jugs. I have good spark and the fuel makes it to the bowl. If the fuel pump needs to be rebuilt will she flow to the carb but not maek it to the pistons?

·
Registered
506 Posts
how much did you pull this thing? if the gas is makeing it to the carbs, only way it won't make it to the engine is if both you main and pilot jets on both cylinders are plugged... sounds suspicious to me. give it 50 pulls with the choke on, see if you got fuel on the plugs then

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet I pulled it at least 100 times. Still no luck. I think I will just pull the carbs apart tomorrow. As long as it is not the fuel pump

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hmmm.... I believe that the fuel pump has an impulse line (I think thats what its called...). That hose connects from a fitting at the bottom of the crank to the top of the fuel pump. If there is a leak in that, then the fuel pump cannot pump gas.
Also, what is the compression in the cylinders?

-Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Compression is 125 on both. I will check the impulse line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried putting both hands over the carbs while some else gave it a few pulls? I've done it before and it works real well. Seems it needs a priming. Try spraying a 40:1 mix into the carbs with an old spray bottle while holding it wide open. Then pull the crap out of it to see if any fire. If so, repeat. Don't use starting fluid, It'll dry the cylinder right up and no lube. Thats why I'd recommend some type of mixed fuel other than starting fluid

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean by putting my hands on the carbs? Do I put them over the intake side, or both? Pleasse specify

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm Not sure how many carbs you have, but yes, you want to cover the intake side of the carb or carbs to completely seal off air intake to give it nothing but fuel. It will either fire or flood. If it floods, you may have some type of ignition failure. What you are doing by covering the intake side is giving it a full choke on top of using the regular choke. If you have good spark, good compression and fuel in the float bowls, this is all it should take to get it going.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if yu want to run an engine and lack of gas is suspect spray wd40 2 or 4 stroke dont matter they will run on that stuff just fine. spray can not bulk version that comes in 1 gallon cans![:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts