Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave me the go ahead on the 08 Renegade. I was e-mailing the guy with the it and he said, "I know for sure you will need an S and E module, other then that, the suspension and everything is fine."

I had my Co-op interview today and the guy said I'm in. He said once I'm done rebuilding the XLT and the MX, then I can bring in anything I have that needs fixing and he can give me a hand. Other then parts it won't cost me anything.

Here's what I'm thinking, there is a 2009 MXZ being parted out near here because of a twisted tunnel. I can get that tunnel for next to nothing. Could I strip the Renegade down and replace the parts from the twisted tunnel? (saving $ is key here, but I want something that works)

I'm basically asking because I have no idea what an A and E module is and I'm wondering if the bulkead's on these sleds are bolted or riveted together in such a way I could take it apart and change the parts out.

Or I could just buy a full chassis in good shape and move everything over. He sent me a video of the sled running and he did a compression test and everything else seems to be fine. Also he said he'd be willing to negotiate the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Your going to do what you want anyways why bother asking? Honestly buy a 2007 rev for less than 4500 and you would be plenty happy. I know some people like to fix stuff but any sled that has damage isn't worth anything. I would talk the seller of that damaged xp gade down to nothing. Also if you don't know what something is it's best to do research then ask for clarification. Finally these questions are better for dootalk as there are far more people on there that are knowledgeable for these questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,011 Posts
kinda depends on the prices of both sleds. Sometimes you get into these projects and there are still costs that go above and beyond the two repairables...you just never know. Don't make any hasty decisions. Make sure this is what you want to do and make sure your gonna have a 100% RELIABLE sled when all is said and done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Empire087 said:
Your going to do what you want anyways why bother asking? Honestly buy a 2007 rev for less than 4500 and you would be plenty happy. I know some people like to fix stuff but any sled that has damage isn't worth anything. I would talk the seller of that damaged xp gade down to nothing. Also if you don't know what something is it's best to do research then ask for clarification. Finally these questions are better for dootalk as there are far more people on there that are knowledgeable for these questions.
1- How am I going to do what I want when I don't know how to do it or what to do?
2- Why would I buy a rev when I can have the rev xp for the same amount and be twice as happy?
3- I am going to talk him down, already said that.
4- Did reasearch, that's why I'm asking.
5- Never been on Doo talk.. Might if I had a doo.

And if you're not going to be constructive, don't post. I don't know why you don't want me to get this sled, but I don't care. Answer the question or don't post at all. I'm not argueing with anyone again. I've already made the decision that I want the sled if it's in the condition he says it's in. Now I want to know how to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I heard the xp's are weaker than the rev chassis. I guess the flying nun bends super easy? That came from a owner of a doo dealership. Thought I would throw it out there for ya. My dad has a 09 gade and loves it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iowasledder said:
I heard the xp's are weaker than the rev chassis. I guess the flying nun bends super easy? That came from a owner of a doo dealership. Thought I would throw it out there for ya. My dad has a 09 gade and loves it.
Lol, What is that? But I don't care if people tell me what to look for in it, it's helpfull..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
The (Flying) Nun is the thing that all the front suspension connects to on the Rev/XP's. It attaches to the bulkhead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
Iowasledder said:
I heard the xp's are weaker than the rev chassis. I guess the flying nun bends super easy? That came from a owner of a doo dealership. Thought I would throw it out there for ya. My dad has a 09 gade and loves it.
Lol, What is that? But I don't care if people tell me what to look for in it, it's helpfull..
Its the ting all the suspension parts are connected to and that the motor sits on so that if you land hard or hit a stump it will break hopefully saving the engine, its built to brake to save other parts but is hard as tits to replace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zecow224 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Iowasledder said:
I heard the xp's are weaker than the rev chassis. I guess the flying nun bends super easy? That came from a owner of a doo dealership. Thought I would throw it out there for ya. My dad has a 09 gade and loves it.
Lol, What is that? But I don't care if people tell me what to look for in it, it's helpfull..
Its the ting all the suspension parts are connected to and that the motor sits on so that if you land hard or hit a stump it will break hopefully saving the engine, its built to brake to save other parts but is hard as tits to replace.
So would you want to reinforce it or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Matt, I still think your purchase plan is not the greatest idea in the world at all, but Fine, your choice, not mine. Otherwise, here's what I (and ALOT of other people) don't like about the 2008 Ski-Doo Rev-XP's.

1. This was the first year, obviously there's going to be problems when you take 50 pounds out of a sled...

2. They had alot of recalls, NUN & Bulkhead being two of the list.

My buddy had one, 2200 km, it had: Nun replaced twice (he is a smaller guy, all he does it groomed trail ride), from faulty welds, and faulty strength points. Next came the front torque arm in the rear suspention, then the heat exchangers melted (the materials used could hold the heat, next came the track (blew apart at 950km), next was the intake (faulty), then was the heat sensor, 4 times. I know personally, 5 sleds this happened, and I went to the dealership with him twice when he brough it back (alot of times) and theyre were dozens and dozens of XP's ripped apart, or about to get ripped apart.

Although, that 800cc h.o Ptek is a great motor, powerhouse, only downside is heavy throttle pull and VIBRATION CITY! otherwise, awesome motor!

137" skid is retarded, need to buy expensive specialty tracks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jesse500 said:
Matt, I still think your purchase plan is not the greatest idea in the world at all, but Fine, your choice, not mine. Otherwise, here's what I (and ALOT of other people) don't like about the 2008 Ski-Doo Rev-XP's.

1. This was the first year, obviously there's going to be problems when you take 50 pounds out of a sled...

2. They had alot of recalls, NUN & Bulkhead being two of the list.

My buddy had one, 2200 km, it had: Nun replaced twice (he is a smaller guy, all he does it groomed trail ride), from faulty welds, and faulty strength points. Next came the front torque arm in the rear suspention, then the heat exchangers melted (the materials used could hold the heat, next came the track (blew apart at 950km), next was the intake (faulty), then was the heat sensor, 4 times. I know personally, 5 sleds this happened, and I went to the dealership with him twice when he brough it back (alot of times) and theyre were dozens and dozens of XP's ripped apart, or about to get ripped apart.

Although, that 800cc h.o Ptek is a great motor, powerhouse, only downside is heavy throttle pull and VIBRATION CITY! otherwise, awesome motor!

137" skid is retarded, need to buy expensive specialty tracks.
It's a 600 SDI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Well in that case, those motors are bullit proof, great on fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jesse500 said:
Matt, I still think your purchase plan is not the greatest idea in the world at all, but Fine, your choice, not mine. Otherwise, here's what I (and ALOT of other people) don't like about the 2008 Ski-Doo Rev-XP's.

1. This was the first year, obviously there's going to be problems when you take 50 pounds out of a sled...

2. They had alot of recalls, NUN & Bulkhead being two of the list.

My buddy had one, 2200 km, it had: Nun replaced twice (he is a smaller guy, all he does it groomed trail ride), from faulty welds, and faulty strength points. Next came the front torque arm in the rear suspention, then the heat exchangers melted (the materials used could hold the heat, next came the track (blew apart at 950km), next was the intake (faulty), then was the heat sensor, 4 times. I know personally, 5 sleds this happened, and I went to the dealership with him twice when he brough it back (alot of times) and theyre were dozens and dozens of XP's ripped apart, or about to get ripped apart.

Although, that 800cc h.o Ptek is a great motor, powerhouse, only downside is heavy throttle pull and VIBRATION CITY! otherwise, awesome motor!

137" skid is retarded, need to buy expensive specialty tracks.
I'm going to be tearing the whole thing down in the shop and going through it so are there any updates or anything I can do to make it stronger while I got it ripped apart?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top