Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? I have a trip in planning right now for a WInter Camping trip in the Adirondacks in NY. My brother and I have been planning this out for a few years now and we finally plan on making it happen this year. We both have pull behind sleds and good gear. All from 1000 google searches on winter camping check lists.

I am curious to know if anyone else has done this before and if so can maybe share some info or whatever....

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I used to in a truck camper. I have a cool Shadow Cruiser slide in camper and could still haul the 2 place enclosed behind the truck. I would drive up north to a staging station unload the sleds and ride for a day. Come back to the camper fire up the heater and be good and warm all night. Bought a cabin, so I don't need to do that anymore. Lots of fond memories but not quite as primitive as your talking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Went for 2 nights a couple of years ago, really enjoyed it! Used a military canvas tent with a small portable wood stove, and slept on cots with just regular sleeping bags. Got down to -25 C one night, but we were still toasty warm. Brought snow shoes to pack down where tent would be, and made some trails to walk around easier. Just make sure to cut and split enough wood during the day, to ensure the fire can last all night. We loaded the stove before going to sleep, and got up twice during the night to refuel it! We were just off a main groomed trail, and only about an hour from home, and with the sleds there it was reassuring that we could get out quickly and easily if we had to. Even had friends stop by during the day who were out riding, and hang around our outdoor fire! Planning, preparation, and a backup plan are important! Had problems starting the chainsaw the first day, but had also brought along a portable brush saw that I used to block a dead standing tree. It was more work, but we didn't freeze! Make sure to have first aid supplies in case someone gets hurt, and if you can stay somewhere with cell coverage, it would be nice, just in case! Have fun, and PM me if you want with any specific questions!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Sure, did a lot of ice fishing/cold camping trips back in the day. Bring lots of beer, a zero bag and some kind of shelter. With that combo you can pretty much survive anything. Otherwise it's pretty much like your summer camping trips but with different clothing.

These days I'm softer and have upgraded to a canvas tent and use the Big Buddy to throw off a little heat.

1,792 Posts
Not my cup of tea. Give me an enclosed trailer (or travel trailer), mattress, indoor porta john, and electric heater plugged into the outlet at the campground.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys.

I just got a new -0 mummy bag and a 55" pull behind sled. My brother and I plan on doing this early 2014. We are from NY so this trip will take place close to where he lives, just west of Albany and we will ride up into the Adirondacks from there. We can make a full day trip above Indian Lake or head out west to Moose River plains. All depends on Snow Cover of course.

If we have snow over the holidays, we plan on doing a mock run on our neighbors farm to make sure we know what we are getting ourselves into.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys...I am late to the party here but have been sled camping for over a decade. Its worth trying for sure. I posted on AC to offer tips and how to do it but no takers.
If anyone is interested in how we do it let me know. We do cold tenting and hot tenting deep off trail. Heading for a week camping in the Temagami area next week. Can not wait. Just don`t tell everyone what a blast it is or all the good spots will be gone once the word gets out.
BT

Sled Camping - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

·
Registered
409 Posts
we used to do day trips on old Rupp sleds (1970) pulling a toboggan full of camp fire wood, cooking utensils, hot dogs etc..... my parents would setup camp in a nice remote area and start the fire and cook. me and bro would take toboggan to hill and sled. then eat, enjoy surroundings and pack up and head home. Great fun and good family outing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts