Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats yout opinion on wiseco pistons? I recently had a engine builder tell me that he wouldnt use them on big bore motors, like my polaris 800ves... especially for mountain riding... which is what i do... Any experiences? Let me know... Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
I love em!!! But I don't have a ves or anything that advanced!!! I like their prolite pistons.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Did he give any explanation as to why he wouldn't use them in
your application? I'm curious.

I've used the Pro-Lites in several 600 and under twins and
tripples with no problems that weren't my own fault.
I know a couple people who use them in BB Cats for the asphalt with relatively good success.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have prolite pistons on my xcr 800 and the do the job pretty well...the piston pins are alot lighter than my stock ones and it makes a difference

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I use wiseco in mine and have no regrets. They work fine!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
they are more expensive than the spi pistons. but, they are also a lot lighter and different material. the bad rap comes from the fact that people are hard on sled motors. they dont use a warm up stand. and they dont let them idle enough before revving them up. the wisecos expand very fast. faster than the jug. so it is easy to get cold scoring. with the heavy spi or stock pistons it isnt as bad. but the wisecos will literally lock up the motor if you hammer a cold engine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i have wiseco's in mine and i love them, they are pricy but their good

·
Registered
690 Posts
i have wiseco's in mine and i love them, they are pricy but their good

·
Registered
482 Posts
i have them in my xcr. its great because they come with all the gaskets that you will need for installation.

$250 for my pair with gaskets, oh and stickers too! haha

BUT i would always go all or nothing... dont just substitute in 1, do em all.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i also have wiseco pistons, no problems. seems to have better performance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, heres the explanation he gave me... He told me that in triples and smaller motors they would work fine, but he doesnt like them because obviously they are a forged piston, and the actual metallurgy of the piston themselves that allows the forging process... requires less silicon than other cast pistons...Someone else mentioned the fact that they heat up fast, which is true, which also plays on what he was telling me that "especially in a mountain or mod motor you wouldnt want them because of the constant beating they would have to take..." which I can see... 300 yards up the mountain you wouldnt want your motor crapping out on you because you have had it pinned for a quarter mile... but he also mentioned that wiseco cam cuts their piston sidewalls to allow more clearance around the hot spots, ie exhaust ports... but the cam cutting allows for mroe play around the piston skirt area, and this in turn bends the piston skirts over time... Now that was his explanation, or what i can remember of it... It could be that these pistons would work very well for anything, but without experience, or the advice of hundreds of other fellow snowmobile enthusiasts... you have to just try it and see... I am going to go with the stock polaris pistons because i am putting this motor in somewhat of a mod mountain sled, and i know the stock pistons will take a beating, I just wondered if many other people have had any bad experiences...

·
Registered
580 Posts
i have 2 improved stock sleds that have wiseco pistons in. the motors in both of them are spinning around 97-9800 rpms. no problems. my older brother used to run a superstock sled that ran about 10,000-10,500 rpms with wiseco,s. never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
So you would rather run OEM or SPX pistons that are ALOT heavier in your high performance big bore??? ...have fun with that. I've run wiseco's in almost every sled and bike I've owned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wiseco is in my back yard, I have 2 friends that work there. I showed one this thread, All I got was a big laff from him. He runs a mod xc 800, and guesse what pistons he has LOL..Any way he said to give them a call, they will help you decide..

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
It's all about warmup time, you can't just jump on the sled pull and go you have to let it sit for 5-10 minutes and let the cylinders warm up as much as the pistons and expand as much as the pistons.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've been running them in my 800 twin polaris for 3 years now with no problems. I know what your builder is talking about as far as the "cam cutting" They are not perfectly round. The main thing it sounds like he would be concerned about is skirt collapse. It happens over time, and i've compared the wisecos to stock pistons in my 800, and they collapsed about the same. I'll tell you one thing. When the skirts collapse some, and you have extra clearance, i'd rather have the wisecos that aren't brittle, than run the risk of breaking a skirt on the stock cast(brittle) pistons. The wisecos have more skirt collapse problems with the really big bores, mostly with the custom made pistons for aftermarket companies, not their stock replacements. The aftermarket companies have the walls made pretty thin to lose some weight because the piston is so big, and that's when the problems start. I have wisecos in my 990 twin, my 700 turbo, my 1000 triple, and my 800 twin, and no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts