Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any problems with wiseco pistons? My first engine job I put two new wiseco pistons and left one of the oem pistons in my triple. Just last week I found that both wiseco pistons were scored on the intake side badly but the oem one didn't have a scratch on it. One of the wiseco pistons was jetted exactly the same as the oem piston. I run a 96 600 XCR SP with nickasil plated cylinders. Anyone else have any problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never had problems with Wiseco in the past (dirtbikes). Im rebuilding my '94 Storm motor with them as we speak so I hope they dont f#@& up on me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
After a broken after market piston ( i am not 100 percent sure it was wiseco) i use original pistons,they seem to work just fine!.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I have two wiseco's in my sled with 1200 miles, they work fine.

Were teh coolant lines quite warm when you pulled away? Sounds like a cold sieze to me. Forged pistons (wiseco's) expand faster, and more than cast (OEM) so they must be warmed up slowly, to let the block expand around them. They also need cylinders bored SLIGHTLY more than what you would do for a cast piston. A previously run hole should be fine though, as long as it wasn't brand new.

-Dean

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never had a problem with Wiseco in any of the rebuilds I've done. If you have scoring, that's not the piston's fault, there's gotta be something that's causing it. Improper ring placement, cracked carb boots, oil injector not adjusted right, jetted too lean for altitude / temperature, leaking seal, etc., are some causes for scoring.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I havea question maybe I am not seeing this but , why would you put two different types of pistons in in the first place isnt there a weight difference that would cause issues if you are going to leave a oem piston in there I always thought you need to replace the other with a oem ?????

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's a good point, Chase, I didn't think about that. I don't know if the weight is different between a wiseco & OEM. If the weights were different, I think that would fall neatly into the 'Bad Things' category.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yeah, the type of aluminum (read density) is not going to be much different between forged and cast, but cast pistons tend to have alot more material in them than neccessary (strength and reliability over performance). Aftermarket forged pistons are usually lighter, by removing material where it won't affect operation. Lighter pistons means less stress on the rods, which means a motor than can rev higher!

-Dean

·
Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd2
[br]I have two wiseco's in my sled with 1200 miles, they work fine.

Were teh coolant lines quite warm when you pulled away? Sounds like a cold sieze to me. Forged pistons (wiseco's) expand faster, and more than cast (OEM) so they must be warmed up slowly, to let the block expand around them. They also need cylinders bored SLIGHTLY more than what you would do for a cast piston. A previously run hole should be fine though, as long as it wasn't brand new.

-Dean
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that a NiCaSil lined cyl doesn't really wear that much. As in the plating is so thin that it is either at OEM specs or gone.

Love forged Wisecos.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
It would make sense. I don't have any expirence in the nicasil area, since my sled is plain bore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts