Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 XCR 440 chassis W/500 motor unknown year... Motor wont idle back down, If the motor is warm and i start it, it sits at 900 RPM but as soon as i touch the throttle it stays at 2800 RPM and wont come back down unless i kill and restart. May be unrelated but I filled up the other day and lost 1/4 tank overnight. I noticed gas coming out of the bowl overflow so i know i have a bad float. But is it related to it not idling?? I have not messed with the carbs because it does idle untill the throttle is touched. I've messed with the cables looking to see if they are sticking/bound up/loose/etc but have come up short. What is the deal??

·
Registered
844 Posts
next time its stuck in its "hi-idle" condition, try flipping the choke on and off quick. if it idles back down, it may be an indication of a lean condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally had a decent day here in MN so i flipped choke on off and it dropped down to 900 RPM then back up again. So i'm running lean, replace the bad float and i should be good?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been mistaken, what i thought was an over flow tube must be a water/sediment catch, the plug at the end is leaking thats where my fuel went. that being said, its running lean for other reasons whats the most common things to look at? I'm new to the snowmobile world so bare with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts