Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I am new to the forum and to sledding. I picked up an AC jag deluxe 440 electric start dont work
can someone tell me if can jump the starter solenoid to get it to turn over? It will start sometimes with the pull start but even if it starts it dont want to run continous, is it true that they run better in the cold weather or is that a myth? all I can get out of the solenoid is a click when I try to jump the solenoid. any thoughts from you folks where to start would be greatly appreciated. I just want to experience the fun all you folks have. Thanks

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would replae the gas if you havent yet, and replace plugs. then i would get the battery charged. Sleds do run better when they are cooler because the motors arent jetted for the warmer temps and they run rich. Also pull the carb, and go through it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Empire087 said:
I would replae the gas if you havent yet, and replace plugs. then i would get the battery charged. Sleds do run better when they are cooler because the motors arent jetted for the warmer temps and they run rich. Also pull the carb, and go through it.
Hey thanks for the response Empire I will do just that I am very new to this but want to enjoy some of the fun.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
First I would check to see if you have spark. Could rule some things out. If it's warm out they can run like sh*t. But I don't think that's your problem. I also think you should drain the gas out and put fresh stuff in too just to be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
First I would check to see if you have spark. Could rule some things out. If it's warm out they can run like sh*t. But I don't think that's your problem. I also think you should drain the gas out and put fresh stuff in too just to be safe.
If it didn't have spark it wouldn't start in the first place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2fast4you13 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Thats what I was thinking Thanks 2fast

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
2fast4you13 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Obviously when the sled shuts down it could be because it lost spark.

Did you charge up your batter and try the electric start again?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
2fast4you13 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Obviously when the sled shuts down it could be because it lost spark.

Hey Wake I did not charge the battery as of yet. Im going to do that today.
My ignition switch is bad can I just jump the solenoid or does it have to be the starter?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Welcome..
Like others said.
Drain the gas, put fresh gas in, and some sea foam. (any car store has sea foam)
Clean Carb./ rebuild it if needed? There's info here to show you the steps. pretty easy.
new plugs. good time to do a compression test also

IMO....I wouldnt worry about the Electric start right now .....
if sled is running right, most of the time it should start in a few pulls, at least get sled running before sticking more money in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SnowAttitude said:
Welcome..
Like others said.
Drain the gas, put fresh gas in, and some sea foam. (any car store has sea foam)
Clean Carb./ rebuild it if needed? There's info here to show you the steps. pretty easy.

if sled is running right, most of the time it should start in a few pulls, at least get sled running before sticking more money in it.
Thanks snow I am going to start the procedure in the morning will let you know how it goes thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
does it just die or does it bog down and die?? what is the temp where u are?? I have a 96 cougar that is very cold blooded. It doesnt want to stay idling until it is good and warm. The carbs in it are spotless. I would just make sure it has fresh fuel and just for piece of mind pull out the carbs and give them a good cleaning. Pull jets and clean them thoroughly. I have also seen where people get water in there tank and that will give you all sorts of problems. If all else fails pull the tank and flush it out as well as fuel line. Make sure you have the right plugs in it. If you didnt change them when you bought it I would do that just to be sure.If you have compression tester I would give it a test just to make sure that the compression is good in both cylinders. I always do these things when I buy anything used. Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spartikus said:
does it just die or does it bog down and die?? what is the temp where u are?? I have a 96 cougar that is very cold blooded. It doesnt want to stay idling until it is good and warm. The carbs in it are spotless. I would just make sure it has fresh fuel and just for piece of mind pull out the carbs and give them a good cleaning. Pull jets and clean them thoroughly. I have also seen where people get water in there tank and that will give you all sorts of problems. If all else fails pull the tank and flush it out as well as fuel line. Make sure you have the right plugs in it. If you didnt change them when you bought it I would do that just to be sure.If you have compression tester I would give it a test just to make sure that the compression is good in both cylinders. I always do these things when I buy anything used. Good Luck
Thanks I just pull the carb today it looks very clean inside but it is soaking I as I speak and I am going to change the inline fuel filter that runs to the shut off. I also noticed a slight kink in the hose coming from the fuel pump to the carb. dont know if that would have anything to do with it. its looks like the fuel pump is not positioned correctly for the fuel to run freely. will let you know how it comes out Thanks for the info.
hose have a good route and floe of fuel

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
SnowAttitude said:
Welcome..
Like others said.

id start with that for sure. I WOULD TOTALY RECOMEND THE "SEA FOAM" it works!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts