Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how fun is it to ride on wood chips? i know the snocross racers practice on them. would it be possible to make a lil track our self and watch the cooling. any sugeestions. cuz i think itd be cool and i could get my hand on a lot of wood chips. feasable idea or not?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
id think so if you had the land and acess to chips, ive had the actual chance to ride on a small oval track i made a a friends dads loggig place.. extremely fun..but i only staye dbaout 5 min ...my first concern would be cooling as u stated

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i think you're better off getting a quad. to just do it for fun i don't think it's worth the wear on the sled, or the risk of overhearting. or the mess it makes. they don't handle as well on chips either. if you can get the chips for free and do it easily it might be kinda cool to pull it out every once in a while and do it, but it certainly wouldn't be like really riding. people practice for snocross on them (including me) out of neccessity.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i heard there fun too

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by SSnthe10s
[br]gotta have a lil water pit to ride threw to keep her cool. But if you ride a Fan sled then your all set.
Seen plenty of fanners overheat in my day.

Buy a new track after and slides to go with it. I hope you have steel skis as well

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
If i had the land and permission id do it!!!!! Just make a few water pits/puddles to ride through to keep em cool! But if you care about the wear and tear on the rest of your sled just wait for winter?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
if youve got the money go for it just get some water holes or a hose with ice wouldn't hurt either

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by polarissledneck28
[br]haha, well it would seem fun, get a sled that be fun jumping and set a little track up. customized do you now how the guy made the track?
for big jumps and table tops it's piles of soil shaped and then covered in chips. for small bumps and doubles/tripples it was just piles of chips. pushed around with a bulldozer or front end loader. one track i've ridden you stop every couple times around and hose down and the other had water holes on it so you could ride a bunch of laps before stopping to cool down.

it's messy as all heck. they don't handle like they do on snow. the carbides want to dig in and stop you in a lot of situations. hopefully Sickler will chime in here because he can tell you more than i can.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Here I am.There is a lot of pluses and some minuses.First if you dont want to get your sled dirty,use a hoes.With a hose you cant run as many laps.With wter holes you can run lots of laps but the sled will get dirty.We use plastic skis with no carbides.This allows the skis to stay on top of chips.There is no damage done to the track.It's alot of fun and definatly gives you some riding time when there is no snow.If you have everything for free,I would do it.I have posted these pics before but here are 2 from 2 different tracks.[attachment=53095][attachment=53096]The second pic. was from Late Braker Prod. on sledfreak.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it seems like fun, and i wanna get into jumping and stuff. to see if i could ever race. alwayts been a dream. of course i would love to have it snow. but latley thats nto possible. i got a atv, but ntohing beats the old snowmobile. does it steer well without the carbodes in the ski?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It steers fine without carbides.There have been times where we run 1 carbide that is half wore out.Some guys run different skis than there race skis.Race skis are very aggressive so they will run stock skis with there carbides.We had 6 here practicing this past weekend and with no snow on the east coast,we got practice when everybody else was wishing they could practice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts