Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boss helped me find a track and all the parts i need to lengthen my track. the people at the shops were really helpfull and explained what to do really well. right now i just stoped for lunch. at this point i have my suspension taken out, and there are a couple of things that i am not sure of. like how do i take off the track tensioner bar and the idler wheels on it? i took one of the bolts from the end of the shaft out, but those wheels are on there tight. the other thing i'm not 100% sure of, is how to take out the shaft that holds the drivers. (drive shaft?) is there just a few bolts to undo, or do i have to remove the chain case, or what? i haven't really looked at it too closely yet.

thanks

dave m

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Take the cover off the chain case and remove the chain, bottom sprocket, and bearing. Then remove the bearing from the clutch side and slide the shaft through the chaincase enough to get the shaft turned and out of the tunnel.
The idlers should come off Ok, just use a little penetrating fluid, then use a socket to tap them off the shaft.
Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your help. i have it all figured out now. i just ran into a few snap rings that have slowed things down. i went out and got some snap ring pliers, and i'm good to go again tomorrow. i can't wait till its all done. i hope it starts snowing around here soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a good deal on a 1 1/4" lug track. $200 cash. its like brand new.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, today i went for my first ride of the year, as well as my first ride with the new track. all seems well, except for the fact that i lost a lot of top speed. i go from 0-60km/h fairly quickly. pretty much no change in that range. but on an uphill slope, it doesn't go any faster than 60 km/h. on a flat stretch i can get about 70 km/h. and down hill, it won't go any faster than 80 km/h. i used to go 80 on the uphill slope, between 90-100 on the flats, and 110 on the way back down.

so all of this brings me to a few more questions....

first, the facts.
-i havn't changed the gear in the chain case.
-i can use a new belt. i can see that the thread/cord inside the edge on one side is broken
-i'm not 100% sure of what track tension i should be at.

so.... what kind of track tension should i be looking at? the manual for my sled says about 1 3/4" gap when you apply 16lbs of pressure. but i'm guessing that has changed with the longer track.

if i change the belt and get the track tension right, should my problem clear up, or does it sound like i'm gonna need a gear no matter what? i did loosen up the track a bit, and it did help a little. i didn't think i was going to need a gear, seeing as i was only going to a 136" with a 1/4" smaller lug size than my 121"

aside from the slower speeds, my motor ran great today. no problems or complaints at all in that department.

dave m

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think your track it to tight, i set mine so i can fit 2 fingers in with no weight and thats would you should have it at or maybe just a little more, thats on my 01 mxzx 800 121

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, do you think that when i get the tension right, and that belt changed, i should be good to go? i shouldn't need to change gears?

speaking of changing the belt, i'm having a really tough time getting the old one off. i should just be able to turn the two halfs of the clutch to seperate it, and slip the belt out, right? i can't turn those clutch halfs for the life of me. is there another trick to it, or do i have a problem?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Your sheaves(sp) are just a little stiff, grab the belt in the middle of both clutches and squeeze it together. This should loosen things up a bit, also elevate the track that way when you spin the secondary its easier. As far as track tension, run it as loose as you can with out it ratcheting. A good couple of inches of sag is ideal, try it out then maybe you can worry about gearing!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys. i'm gonna get get it all sorted out tomorrow. i'll let you know how it all goes.

dave m

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, it seems that my old belt was the problem. when i checked out the track tension, it seemed pretty loose already, so i didn't touch it. but with that new belt, i am now able to hit about 85km/h on the flats, depending on the surface condition. the skis that are on there now are worn right through to the metal frame. i can barely steer. i'm sure this is creating a lot of drag, and i'm guessing that when i get my new skis on i'll pick up a bit more top speed. the skis just came in the other day, and i'm putting them on tomorow.

now what i need to do is give this thing some more clearance. it looks like a low rider compared to my buddies sleds. even the other mxz that rides with us has more clearance (its 3 years newer than mine). so, i need longer shocks in the front to pick up the front end. then i can fab up some drop brackets for the back. as it is right now i am dragging my sled as soon as i hit the powder. and i also notice that my buddies sleds, with thier higher center of gravity, are a heck of a lot easier to toss around when carving through the powder.
so how much money should i be looking at spending for longer front shocks? again, i need to do this cheap.

dave m

1 - 11 of 11 Posts