Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i decided to pull the indy 500 into the garage to do some work to it. the secondary had 1 inch of side to side play so i bought a new spacer and washer for it and replaced that. turns out perfectly. gotta love when things go that smoothly.

[attachment=57845]

thats done. so then i needed to install these.

[attachment=57846]

an electric impact, was done in ten minutes. so i then i needed to install this

[attachment=57847]

took me longer to find my drill then it took to install this lol. Did some adjusting of the bars

[attachment=57848]

done in no time at all. Now heres the scary part. i checked the fluid level in the chain case. ewwww it was SILVER!! so im thinking the worst at this point. so crack open a beer and grab a 9/16's wrench. nut was loose. im thinking damnit. crack open the chain case to inspect it all looks good,EXCEPT where the chain was slapping the case. a few small grooves no big deal.started tightening up the chain, 10 turns by hand later its finally at the right adjustment. back off half a turn all is well. sorry i didnt get pics of that GF was mannin the camera and was taking a smoke break on the steps into the garage. after inspecting the gears all looks good and no teeth missing and chain looks good. cleaned out the whole chain case with brake cleaner let it dry and refilled with amsoil synthetic chain case oil.
Im kind of glad she was the one riding the sled for the most part. she babied it. But Rick on the other hand was keeping up with me on my 440 lol. sorry for the long post but heres some misc. pics

[attachment=57850]

added some stickers

[attachment=57851]

[attachment=57852]

have a good night!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,678 Posts
Glad you didn't have any major work to do...that's always a plus.

I really dislike being at school, 320 miles from my sled. I too should be working on a sled...[V]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I could only imagine what that chaincase would have looked like if you were driving it, or anyone else that would have really given it hell... I remember a few years back I hit a rock on my old formula z, didn't realize it at the time but I had cracked the chaincase and all of the lube oil drained out. The two things that got me looking was the smell of burning gear oil, and the sound of the chain hitting on the case [XX(]. a few hundred dollars later, and all was fixed. Glad to hear it wasn't anything worse. You have any snow left up there?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A little maintenance goes a long way.

I wish I would have been home to take mine out of the garage today, so the the snirt could have melted off. It was above freezing today I hear. I have a little over 100 miles on now on my new rails and suspension. Today would have been a decent day to double check everything.

Maybe this weekend I'll run it to the car wash and check everything over afterwards.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trails are pretty much done for. still got some snow may go hit the lake as it is frozen over. gotta pull my 440 in tomorrow to check my chaincase as ill be at the races on sunday. not sure if im racing or not but want to have the sled ready just incase. im glad it turned out the way it did after Rick had his chaincase problems when we rode together i wanted to inspect everything before something major happened

1 - 6 of 6 Posts