Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last question, 100 Mph at -6 Celsius and now 93Mph at +1 Celsius. The temperature can affect alot on the top end???? or maybe i developp new problem today with my sled....

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Temperature affects performance throughout the power band. COlder it is the denser the air and the more air getting into the cylinder. Leans out your engine a little more. It is that way on not just 2 strokes but all engines. Thats why they make Cold Air intakes for cars. The cooler air is better performance.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yes your belt wear will affect top speed as well as rpms. I have found in racing that as little as 100 miles on a belt can drop rpms 200 or more which can be a few mph at higher revs. Also the cold air being denser, is not necessarily true, but in theory your right sled_dog. But fortress your only looking at 7 degrees in temperature difference, which could affect your performance but it shouldn't affect it that much. Now if you were talking about 20 degrees that would be different.

I don't brake until I see God!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if that belt is worn throgh it away! dont save it for a spare. I have seen people burn holes in clutchs from bad belts. clutching is everything and is calobrated on a new belt. this is not a time to be cheap.

on the top speed run. from day to day look at temp. humidity, any wind even the slightest will affect top end. snow conditions. they all sound minor but it doesnt take much of anything to lose 7 mph. for fun do a run then have a bigger or smaller person run it.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
oh yeah on my 96 XCR if I were out on the lake I would rip that thing to 105MPH no problem and keep pulling. As soon as I hit any snow even just say 1" deep I would slow down to like under 100 lower 90s maybe. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
well, 7 degrees celsius is a large difference, especially between freezing and melting. you said -6 C (-10.5 F) and 1 C (33.8 F), which is quite a difference. the added drag of the sticky snow is horrors to top speed runs, so that may be a large part of the problem.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
yes did you check the belt to see if you have a warn spot on the inside edge any where, my cousin had that problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
i fling poo [/quote]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
What the heck is this flinging poo stuff about???????

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts