Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think winter is shaping up to be even worse then last year?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I said "no" last year the temps weren't cold enough to even keep snow on the ground.

-Dean

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, We'll see I guess

This was taken last year, December 12th We have alot less snow now then we did then. So unless we get alot in the next 12 days (which I doubt) we are even behind last yr. Which is pathetic.

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/mysled2.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think that this winter will be better than last year. I went to old forge this weekend to drop my sled off and they had about a foot of snow and more to come. I went for a small ride. But last year at this time they had no snow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
well it all depends on where you live.Last year at this time it was in the mid sixty's and this past week it has been in the twenty's and thirty's.I would say that that is a big improvement.Also they are calling for two to four inches for tonight and tomorrow.If we get four ,i will go for a spin around the yard a few times :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Archie.
We got about 3-4 inches this weekend.
(not enough to go trail riding.)
Where I'm moving to, they received about 6 inches this weekend with more on the way.
They had people riding their trails but I'm not sure if they're open yet as they had to go back and put their stakes in because some farmers had plowed their fields after they were staked.
Your best bet is to keep a close eye on the OFSC website for their trail condition reports.
They may have had enough around Strathroy and Exeter to get some riding in.
I'll keep you posted as I find out what Mother Nature brings us.

Jeff[:D]

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I say no, it will snow by then, I hope, and like ripperd2 said, the temps are actually cold enough to support snow, unlike last year.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some ppl seem to forget, it did snow here on November 12. And last thursday the temp was 45 to 50 degrees.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'm betting we're going to have a good ol' fashion winter here in the north east.....lots of cold, and lots of snow. It just feels like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Little bit of snow on the ground but the small lakes are freezing fast. Some lakes didn't even completely freeze over last year. So as of right now its 10 times better than last year (so far).

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Actually Alaska had it's warmest November in history this year WTF! Eureka did get up to 3 feet of new this weekend though, Summit Lake a few inches. We can ride, just not at all the usual places. Oh and for a comparison on winters, the record year for snowfall in Fairbank (90-91) was 162 inches - with November getting 40 or 50 of it!!

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
well id have to say NO, we had enought snow to ride here last year and we have none now..If the almanac is correct were not spose to get much for our area "ND"...I hope this is a false statement but thats the way its looking, but hay theirs 4-5 good months left.. I got over 800 miles on last year and right now I have 3 miles on so far....

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
lakes are always frozen here, i could probably drive across lake now w/ a small car if there isnt ne real bad spots, cuz out in the middle its about 8 inches thick.....but this winter sux so far, there is NO snow here to speak of...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'm saying this year should be better but how could it not be...At least right now it's cold enough, unlike the previous season where cold was 40 degrees! The cold weather + little snow = good ice on the lakes...so it's not all bad, yet [;)] But if there isn't a white snowmobilin' Christmas then it'll stink

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think this winter is gonna be a lot better then last year. Last year we didn't get any snow until the end of January. This year we are getting snow in the start of December, but this could change at anytime so we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]lakes are always frozen here, i could probably drive across lake now w/ a small car if there isnt ne real bad spots, cuz out in the middle its about 8 inches thick.....but this winter sux so far, there is NO snow here to speak of...
Well that is actually good. That ice will be alot stronger then if it was snowing a ton. Then will the snow falls you will be all set.

at the cottage my dad says the bay has froozen over and he walked across it. Sounds good to me. I think it will be alot better this year. Better for snow, but worse for me. I will have a hard time gettin to the cottage to ride. Lots going on at home.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
it dont matter around here, lakes freeze every single winter, no fail, thick enough so u can drive pickups on em.....the ice just isnt a nice clear ice if it snows alot b4 it freezes, but it eventually gets strong enough and thick enough to drive most kinds of vehicles on it, last night my friend drove his Monte Carlo out on the lake, ice was around a foot where we were at, and probably thicker in most other places already

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah. Just sayin the clear stuff is what I would want to be driving my car on. But I think that it had got to be alot colder then this time last year. Atleast here. Every night has been atleast -5 celcius. Not sure what that is in ferinhight <-- Great spelling eh. Yeah, So I think it will be good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts