Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the worst snowmobile accident you have been in or witnessed?

For me, I hit a oil tank in my yard when I first got my licence and was snowmobiling around the yard, and when I was at Park X I saw a guy getting landed on. ouch!

·
Registered
901 Posts
i havent been in any really serious accidents but had quite afew close calls. my worst accident happened last sunday. me and my friend who is 5 foot and weighs around 100lbs. were out snowmobiling and found some good powder. we were carving for about an hour trouble free other than getting the sleds stuck completly sideways. but 10 min. befor we were going to leave i decided to try a really tight carve up the hill, it was going good until i found the rock under the snow. at this time the sled rolled over on top of me, and while im pinned under the handlebars, my friend gets stuck about 100 yards from where i was. so for 15 min. i was pinned under my sled, then when my friend got there he could barely lift the sled because of how small he is and how deep the snow was. but after roughly another 15 min. i was out and my sled was rightside up and i tried it agian. but made it this time.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i saw a guy hit a groomer, i was there when my friend put his new XCSP 700 into a stump/ trees, saw my buddys ZR go into the trees a few times, watched my dad roll his 90 indy 340 about 10 or 12 years ago. theres prolly more i just cant remeber them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My worst one was probably hitting a rock pile going 60 mph or falling off the snowmobile going 60-70 mph.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Back in 1983 (When I was 13 and when we had REAL winters) my best friend and I were playing around by an old church (By Randall MN on Hwy 10) which had a cemetary, I know that sounds like a strange place to ride but it had a really cool hill that made for some wicked jumps on our 196?'s Colts, well to make a long story short one of those big granite head stones jumped in my way and I ended up with torn ligaments in my left leg!! [:(!]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
well for me, i hit a rock and bend my trailing arm. one that i saw, a buddy of mine jumped an ice road, and didnt make it and flipped over the sled. and head about, my friend hit a propane pipe,and it caused the tank to explode and it burned him and his sled,(but hes aight), it was in the winnipeg free press,cause the railroad was closed for 3days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
well when i was 12 i was doing about 50 on my old 96 440 supersport and hit this kid who was driving an enticer with no light on it, i just hit the side of him his sled was pretty much totaled and i needed a new front end. i had to have done 2 front flips in the air from the jolt it was pretty big.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I bashed a tree at about 40 MPH with my first sled.

[attachment=271]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
nothing yet, but i havent rode my sled yet either

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I saw 2 guys going in opposite directions on lake minocqua years ago(85' or 87', flying low, I mean low. They were about 10 yards from each other and one of them hit a small heave on the ice, he flew off and landed on the ski of the other machine. Unfortuntly he did not make it. I guess that is why I don't care to pin it on a lake unless I have scoped it out before hand.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i myself when i was younger was riding a 1990 polaris indy 500 and i went around a 90 degree corner, track spun, turned the sled sideways iin the corner, caught and sent me into a tree. then my first weekend out with my brand new (to me ) sled the first corner i came into i rolled it, smashed the dash and windshield, i have also been rearended twice now, not to bad of accidents but still enough for me to respect the machines

·
Registered
476 Posts
i havent had any major ones but the one i can remember is i was on my old 440 arcitic cat panther with another guy on the back i didnt see the gravel road infornt of me and i hit the side of it and we both fell off and the snowmobile went across the road luckily no vehicle was coming

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The worst I have witness was when PolarisPerson, ArcticCat1, and I was going along this Gravel Road and ArcticCat1 was 1st...I was 2nd...Polarisperson was 3rd. ArcticCat1 jumped the approach and I went to the side of the approach because I seen a some rocks sticking out of the snow and Polarisperson was right behind me. I turned back to tell him to look out for the rockpile and I was to late. Right when I looked back he hit the rocks his sled and him flew in the air sideways. His sled landed sideways but the got on two skis and Polarisperson just landed on the hardpacked snow. It was all good. Nothing got hurt.

Theres a couple more that I have no time to tell.

·
Registered
396 Posts
worst i saw was looking out at the lake and seeing this guy on a sled just cruising and fast too. then he hit an big ice block someone had cut so that they could spear northerns. sled went from 80 to 0 in the space of a couple of feet.
he actually moved the block a few feet as he flew off busting every part of him up. sled was nothing more than a bunch of pieces of metal and plastic and there was blood everywhere.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the worst one for me was about ten years ago hit a 12-14ft wide ditch at about 60 on my friends trailfire almost cleared if the otherside wasnt 2ft higher! sled hit the otherside my foot went under the running boards broke my ankle at the same time i grabbed the throtle launched the sled abot 10ft in the air "me higher as to what my friend said" landed on my head with hands out a nd now i had a broken wrist and some neck pain! to make matters wosre i already had a cast on the other hand form an opperation a week before. Everyone i know had a good laugh seeing me in three casts and only one good limb . it took my ten years to get back on a sled again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jan 2000, Watched my 15 year old son hit a 18 inch thick chunk of ice going across the lake 50mph at grey light time on the brand new MXZ that I bought for him and the X! launched him like a rocket out of the seat, he came down on the handle bar, and then tumbled onto the ice finishing his acrobatics with a half dozen rolls...he was a little bruised but okay...Broke the visor on the helmet, and belly pan on the sled...sled landed perfectly and stopped 20yards from where it hit at....

1978 the last great blizzard we had...Anyone remember it? we were off school so of course we all hit the back roads....Now remember the winds were still gusting up near 30mph, there was 5 of us riding, I was second, as we were flying down the road, a gust of wind blew up just before we hit this snow drift area. I watched my buddies tail light disappear in front of me, then it appeared again, only this time it was bouncing from side to side a foot or two! then it disappeared again! the next thing I see is my buddy standing up in the road in front of me!!! luckily he was off to the side just enough that I missed him, and so did everyone else....as we helped him get his sled and bearings, I found out he never even realized or saw me go pass him!!! I mean had I been over just an inch or 2 i would've nailed him!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heres another one, My cousing had totaled out his sled and bought it back from the insurance company and repaired it. I think it was his next trip when he hit a mogule in the trail at around 80mph, in doing this one of the trailing arm bolts broke! Causing the control arm to bend, which dug into the snow, starting the flips of this wild ride, he doesn't know how many flips and tumbles he did, all he knows is how lucky he was, YES, he walked away from this one!!! I went to pick him and his sled up, and I'm telling you one look at that sled and I think my heart skipped a beat, I have never, to this day seen one tore up as bad as that one!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was about 11, my older bro was driving. We tipped over and rolled several times and ended up in a creek. I have to admit to being hesitant to get into the sport. But my boyfriend loves it so I'll give it a try even though I suffer from the lasting effects of a whiplash injury from a bad plane landing a few years back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well thats it for me I just started riding last year and after reading all those posts I dont know what to think. Anyone want to buy a couple sleds j/k![;)]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by snake61047
[br]Well I just got back from the hospital but I wasn't the one that got hurt.[:D] It was my riding buddy Noah. He is still in the hospital[xx(] We were taking the last ride before the snow disappeared today and we went into an unfamiliar field. I was riding my ultra and he was riding his old phazer and we were doing between 60-70 depending on who's speedo you were looking at. We were shooting across a bean field right at dusk and all of a sudden a driveway appeared 10ft in front of us. At 70 we couldn't stop! It was one of those driveways that has a ramp to it. Needless to say that at 70mph and that ramp we both launched off it. We flew 80ft at 8ft in the air before we landed. We both were thrown off and the phazer rolled. The ultra landed upright and stopped about another 80ft away.

When I got up Noah was screaming saying his leg was broke. And it was. He is in surgery right now getting a pin and screws put into his right femor. He also broke the ball in his right shoulder. I don't know how I was able to walk away from that. I was pulling away from him when we hit the driveway.

The phazer is fixable and Noah will get out of the hospital in about 4 days.
This is the one for me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts