Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I have a 97 xlt limited special that I purchased in the fall. Also I have a 94 and 95 xlt specials. I decided on the 97 because the other two ran fast and with no problems, they both push over 100. With the 97 i only get about 75. It would bogg down alot when accelerating whether hot or cold. At one point could not get it to move faster than 10 mph. put in new plugs and still would not move so i brougth it to the dealer after an hour thay told me it was the plugs. It ran but would still bogg down at acc,and couldn't go past 75. Another problem is that the drive belt has about 3 inches of play with proper belt, the dealer said it was the norm don't know.I ride with 8 of my friends and use to be up in front now half mile behind and the bunt of their jokes. Would appreciate any help with getting the sled up to speed.I am mechanically enclined but new to sleds.

wb

·
Registered
135 Posts
sounds to me like something is wrong with the belt. When it is properly adjusted, there should be a little ridge of belt sticking up over the top of the sheaves on your secondary (big) clutch. It is very important to performance that this is properly maintained. I had a guy once told me his Indy 500 ran like crap, he hated it and was going to sell it. His belt was almost a 1/4 down in the sheave. I adjusted it and he still has the sled 3 years later!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
start with a new belt even if the one you got was new get another one. check deflection again it should be about one inch of up and down between the two clutchs runner is right there should be a little belt above the sheaves. try the new belt. other wise pull the secondary off and apart. there should be spring tension holding the sheaves closed if it feels real sloppy mabey the spring broke or came out of the helix or index hole in the clutch.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
This just goes to show that the dealer you went to sucks. This sounds like a simple problem. I agree with the others on it being in the belt/clutching area!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
WOW! You say there is 3 inches of play in the belt (between the clutches), and that the dealer said that was normal??? That guy is off his rocker and is taking you for a ride!

I've got a 97 XLT SP too. Polaris spec for belt free play between the clutches is 1 1/4 inches. Take a yard stick and place it so that it rests on top of the belt from clutch to clutch. Then push down on the top part of the belt between the clutches. Measure the distance between the belt and the yard stick above it. It this measurment is much more than 1 1/4 inches, either the clutches need adjustment or its the wrong belt, and I'd lean towards the latter. Also like others have said you want to see a little bit of belt sticking up above the sheaves of your secondary clutch (the big one) like 1/8 to 1/4 inch is good. Also make sure your carbs and jets are clean, and your throttle and choke cables are adjusted correclty.

Your sled should easily hit 100 mph, mine does
Hope this helps.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree with the others. That's more than likely the problem.

It wouldn't hurt to also check your rubber motor mounts. Be sure they are there and that the bolts are tight. There are 4 holding your motor to the chassis. If the engine doesn't stay in one place, performance is severely lost. In this case, belt deflection would change constantly. Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts